Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

floor jack for washing the bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default floor jack for washing the bike

I was just looking at the Pit Bull jacks, very nice but a lot of money. I have a Handy lift table for service work, but I would like to get a floor jack for washing the bike and wheels.
Looking around the threads I see Sears Red and Yellow also HF. Which has the fewest problems. If I have to I will buy the Pit Bull, don't want to save a couple dollars and drop a 30K bike.

Thanks in advance Be Safe JIM

Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I bought my cheapo Chinese built jack from Sams Club about 8 or 9 years ago. After the bottle seals sprung a leak I replaced it. No further problems and I have had no less than ten bikes on it. Everything from the 70(s) minibike that is currently there to my Ultra. With a couple softails and dyna's and Italina Harley's thrown in. I lock the jack and snugly, not tightly, strap down the bike. Then I wash, or work, away.
Today, you can get the Sears jacks for about the price I paid for the cheapo. Pick the one you like and go for it.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
The_Nothing_Man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have a J&S. Great jack no need for straps or tie down.

Attached Thumbnails floor jack for washing the bike-92009-001.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the Sears red jack for about 7 years to wash the bikes. I have to put it on a jack, my knee is messed up and I don't have full range of motion, so, no kneeling.....

Last edited by Steelknee57; 10-27-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i bought the craftsman professional jack, which is the yellow one, aluminum, built great, and is very strong. not any problems at all with it. it does go on sale a couple of times a year, and is something i use often. a great jack, and sure feel more secure using it than a harbor freight jack. i just would hate to see my bike falling down off the lift because i cheaped out on a lesser quality jack. it's sure worth the difference in price to get a good one rather than the truckload tool sale in the old k mart parking lot tent sale sort of crap. that has been my experience anyway. get a good tool, you'll own it for a long time. cheap out and get junk, and you'll have to replace it.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:38 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the pit bull if you want quality,

I own 30 grand of Snap-On tools but I cheaped out on the jack!

My Larin has worked for years with zero issues!

I have to say that I'm shocked!!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Cheap one

I have a Harbor Freight and it works fine for most things, but when you go to lower the bike, it drops too fast. So I usually panic and release the foot pedal and it stops it half way down and has to be hurting the frame. I wish it had a valve that you could unscrew a little at a time so it would lower slowly.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My HF drops fast too. Any known cure for this. Friend has the same HF and it works perfect.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using the Yellow Crafstman for several years now. It works fine with no need to strap. It lowres the bike down slowly. I have been very pleased. But if it was to do it again, I would go with the Pit Bull.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought the Pit Bull. I had a friend that had a Sears and comparing the 2 are like night and day. The sears will work but after using the pit bull the bike is way more stable on it than the sears. Also the Pit Bull is much easier to roll around with the bike on it so I can lift the bike up and store it to the side of my garage during the winter months keeping the tires off the cold concrete, and as someone said, "quality".

Sure it was a couple hundred $$ more but I'm putting a $25K bike on it so I'm wasn't going to cheap out of for a few $$.

Quick Reply: floor jack for washing the bike