Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy haulers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Detachment2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Raptor RV's

I had a tail gator 32' tow behind and now a 38' RAPTOR 5th wheel which is the cats as of toy haulers. 5th wheel is the way to go if towing any distance because it is so much more stable. My tow behind even with stabilizer bars would still sway enough to get you nervous at times. We towed my 5th wheel to Spokane Washington from PA with a Harley in back without any problems. We go camping with two touring bikes in the garage area and there’s a comfortable amount of room. Tow behinds work with the Tail Gator being a sturdy set up as well as the RAPTOR tow behind. Raptor comes with all the goodies and best of everything as far as RV's go. I have my separate garage, a big bathroom and shower and she has a big living room, kitchen area, and bedroom. Keeps us both happy.
Unfortunately my truck and camper may have to go so I can pay for kids college. Hope not they are fun.

Attached Thumbnails Toy haulers-100_0113.jpg   Toy haulers-100_0114.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 01:34 PM
westexultra
Novice
Default Duneseeker

I bought a Duneseeker. 23ft with all the goodies. Used it a few times at the lake but never put a bike in it. I thought we would load up the bikes and go to rallies all over. But we didn't and I would rather ride my Ultra anyway. It was a good enough trailer and worked well. I just didn't use it as planned. Traded it a couple of weeks ago for a straight fifth wheel and it is much nicer and way more comfy at the lake or where ever. I guess if I ever really need to I can pull my small utility trailer with my bike behind the fifth wheel.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 818 Likes on 804 Posts

1 of our guys in our group has one thats for 3 bikes, great when needed..

Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Tag.

I want one of these too I think. I have a large SUV that can tow 8k lbs (I know there are other factors). I'd like to get the largest toy hauler I can use my existing vehicle to tow it, and I'd like to go the used route also to pick up a modern pre-owned unit for like $10k-$12k ideally.

I don't know how to search for them either. I'd like to go to show to see some new ones and get some ideas, but I've not found a ton of them on the used market when I have taken the time to look.

So far, I've used www.searchtempest.com (formerly craigshelper.com) to do large area searches on craig's list. I've also searched ebay, and one of the RV versions of auto trader.

One problem is finding the right search terms. Especially on craigslist and ebay. You might find some under toy hauler, but there's a lot of junk under that category that's not relevant, and I've tried searching for combinations of terms including motrocycle, trailer, rv, camper, etc., so it can be a little tedious to make sure you uncover the things you're looking for.

I'm not ready to drop the cash on it, but am trying to educate myself about them for when the time is right.

Some models that intrigued me so far include Hobbi and Extreme which I think are brands made by larger companies by a different name, respectively.

The ones I saw that caught my eye were more modern looking w/ black, gray and red colors that to me were cooler looking, more masculine, and practical.

In my opinion, I didn't like some of the ones that try to look like your house with stained wood cabinets, frilly curtains and printed fabrics. Unless you spend a lot of money for high end finishes, which I don't want to do, these attempts often look cheap and dated in the less expensive lines.

I kind of thought the newer looking ones were more practical and functional, while still looking cool for what they are. Some of them even have diamond plated backsplashes and stuff like that which are perfect for a motorcycle hauler.

My biggest concerns about the layout would be a separate sleeping compartment, in my size range w/ what I can tow, it would prob be between 20-28ft depending on weight of materials, so I can't expect a big master bedroom or anything, but I do want a separate sleeping compartment, and I'd love to have a separation from the 'garage' area, but I'll have to see what I can find, and ultimately tow...

The way I figure it, you could easily spend $2k-$5k for an enclosed trailer of any size to haul a couple of dressers. If I could pick up a nice used toy hauler/camper, that I could tow w/ existing truck, for say $10-$12k, then that would be perfect. I'd have an enclosed trailer if I needed to just haul the bike somewhere, although a little overkill for that, but then I'd have the option to use it for some various kinds of trips where I need to haul the bike or camp somewhere, and not feel like I spent so much money if it sees little usage at times. Plus, in a pinch, you'd have a place to stay if you had to bug out for some reason (and not leave the bike behind!).

Interested in what the OP finds for their needs, and any other suggestestions/comments...

Last edited by karz10; 09-28-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I looked for a long time myself and bought a Forest River Work & Play similar to this one:

Mine has a few more options than the pictured one but they’re very similar as far as size and interior. You will need at least a ¾ ton truck to pull it though. I use a DWR F350.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Detachment2
I had a tail gator 32' tow behind and now a 38' RAPTOR 5th wheel which is the cats as of toy haulers. 5th wheel is the way to go if towing any distance because it is so much more stable. My tow behind even with stabilizer bars would still sway enough to get you nervous at times. We towed my 5th wheel to Spokane Washington from PA with a Harley in back without any problems. We go camping with two touring bikes in the garage area and there’s a comfortable amount of room. Tow behinds work with the Tail Gator being a sturdy set up as well as the RAPTOR tow behind. Raptor comes with all the goodies and best of everything as far as RV's go. I have my separate garage, a big bathroom and shower and she has a big living room, kitchen area, and bedroom. Keeps us both happy.
Unfortunately my truck and camper may have to go so I can pay for kids college. Hope not they are fun.
Detachment2, Nice setup you have. Your pictures look like a 3812TS. I'm looking at that model or a 3912LEV. Do you really need a 1 ton truck to haul them or could you get by with a 3/4 ton with a big engine?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

well looks like i'll have to settle on a 5th wheel. i knw my truck can haul just about anything. towing capiticy is 19,500 on a goose neck or 5th wheel. saw a nice one on ebay for 23k two years old with all the goodies.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Detachment2
Advanced

I had a 3/4 ton crew cab V-10 which would have struggled but pulled it I am told. My diesel F-350 crew cab dually has NO PROBLEM and handles it nicely. We have looked at and had a couple other campers and never seen or had a toy hauler nicer then the Raptor but thats our opinion plus the RV dealers say they are top notch in the toy hauler area. I believe mine is 3812 something. We use our generator when electric not availible with the 28 gallon fuel tank lasting a couple days. Spoiled I guess. Thanks for the compliment. It has one slide out which is all we wanted. I do like the newer raptors with the bedroom and bathroom both seperate rooms but they are salty. This time of year is best time to buy/look for RV. I have seen them knock big bucks off the price to move this years inventory out. Have no complaints, they are good choice.