General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed

No problems with my ACC and great customer service.

Fits great, looks great, no mushroom head, and the first one saved my noggin. Took three hard hits, stayed put, and stayed together.

And I lived to buy another.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SixGun

I'm a neebie to this forum so here goes; I like the look of the ACC helmet and did a search on this forum about it. The common theme is the "DOT" approved helmet.

Well I did a search on the web about helmet testing (NHTSA) and low and behold, the ACC failed the 2006 test. No, I didn't read the whole 30 something page report, just the FAILED in big red letters.

Anyone have an explination on this, or know something about the testbefore I plop done $200.00 bones on one of these helmets?

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin...8/2006s218.pdf
I remember reading something about that screwup on their website. You'll just have to check it out. I remember some kind of flub up though, either on theirs, or the dot's part, but whatever it is has been corrected.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
captsam54
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

it used to be about motorcycles...now it's a f'n fashion show.....
Definitely not a fashion show. I don't own a vest and don't ride with any leather or gloves unless absolutely necessary and I even sometimes ride in shorts so I'm not trying to pose up a biker image. As I've said before, I dress for where I'm going not for how I'm getting there. However, when it comes to the helmet, I draw the line. I want something comfortable that doesn't look like a retard riding the short bus. It's as simple as that.

And it's still about the motorcycles. But, it's always been about the image too - for more people and more reasons than most will ever admit.
COME ON YOU GUYS>>> Get a GRIP..!!![sm=smiley21.gif]

Wearing shorts and sandals, no helmet etc. is asking for an expensive hospital bill, and or death and disfigurement..!!

You've read all these posts describing people getting rear ended, crashing etc. We had 2 killed here last week..(no helmets).!!
When you go scuba diving, you dress appropriately, When you go snow skiing you dress for cold etc. skydiving etc. etc.. Why not on 2 wheels amongst idiots going 60-80 miles an hour????[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 01-30-2008, 10:39 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't get into the 1/2 helmet thing. I prefer the 3/4 in fit, function and appearance. Plus it helps keep the wind noise down - and that's never a bad thing.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
NY Deuce
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HD Bones

I took my son's ACC DOT flat black helmet down to the bike shop (sorry, local metric bike shop, not HD stealer) and tried on the inexpensive VEGA XTS flat black DOT half helmet and kept comparing them in a mirror. Both guys who worked there came over and we all three agreed that the ACC helmet looked a little better but was not any smaller looking (mushroom head effect was the same)than the VEGA. The VEGA has two small vents on the front as well as the snaps for the visor that I threw out. It may not look quite as nice as an ACC helmet but for @ $110 less it looked real fine (and I'm not cheap). I usually spend extra money on things that I really want but I just couldn't justify the extra money and 6 week wait for the ACC. OK, I'm done now.

VEGA XTS Half Helmet in rubber flat black, fiberglass, and DOT! @ $60

I have the Vega XTS "Naked" in flat black. The picture posted here is not a picture of the standard Vega XTS helmet. The standard XTS comes with a visor and has snaps on the front in addition to the twin vents which is what HD Bones is describing but not what he is posting. This is a picture of the Vega XTS Naked model that I have which has the twin vents for hot weather riding but no snaps or visor and also has the narrow straps that you see in this picture. The flat black is also not paint, it's actually a thin rubber coating which is practically fingerprint and scratch proof which is a pretty cool feature. You can get this helmet for as little as $40 if you shop around but the average price is around $50 - $55.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 PM
NY Deuce
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cwilson

ORIGINAL: HD Bones

I took my son's ACC DOT flat black helmet down to the bike shop (sorry, local metric bike shop, not HD stealer) and tried on the inexpensive VEGA XTS flat black DOT half helmet and kept comparing them in a mirror. Both guys who worked there came over and we all three agreed that the ACC helmet looked a little better but was not any smaller looking (mushroom head effect was the same)than the VEGA. The VEGA has two small vents on the front as well as the snaps for the visor that I threw out. It may not look quite as nice as an ACC helmet but for @ $110 less it looked real fine (and I'm not cheap). I usually spend extra money on things that I really want but I just couldn't justify the extra money and 6 week wait for the ACC. OK, I'm done now.

VEGA XTS Half Helmet in rubber flat black, fiberglass, and DOT! @ $60

Cool. Did you find the Vega heavier than the ACC? I didn't try a lot of halfs, but the few that I did try seemed heavier than the ACC DOT.

Chris
My Vega XTS Naked in flat black rubber coating only weighs 25 oz, which is a hair over 1.5 lbs. I know it only weighs 25 oz for a fact because I weighed it myself on a shipping scale 3 times just to be sure because I thought there was something wrong with the scale. I couldn't believe it was DOT and was so light. But the scale was working fine and the weight was correct. It's so light sometimes I forget I'm wearing it. This is a great, super light DOT half helmet and I recommend it to anyone looking for a new DOT helmet.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:02 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

I 'used' to be a solid proponent of the ACC carbon fiber DOT helmets. That is, until I was recently given another carbon fiber helmet as a gift from a client. I guess up to that point, I didn't really have a true reference point?By comparison, the build quality, feel, and craftsmanship of the ACC DOT just doesn't stand up to my newer (HD) carbon fiber helmet. Looking back, and having what I now have in hand side by side, the ACC DOT (to me) just appears rather low in quality, etc. Again, this is solely my opinion.
I had an ACC myself and gave it to a friend in need after a year. It was ok, nothing spectacular. I was checking outHarley's carbon/kevlar helmet and there is a definite weight savings 12oz vs. 32oz! It smacks of quality and you can attach a shield if neccessary.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just had mine replaced under recall and i wish i haden`t sent mine in the new white lining looks like well you get the idea, i asked if i could buy my orig back and they said nope

Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

8 Days from mailing Returned paid shipping new black inner liner and new pads very acceptable

Old 02-02-2008, 01:14 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Elginator

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover
it used to be about motorcycles...now it's a f'n fashion show.....
ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder
Unfreakin' believable.
"Honey, does this helmet make my head look fat?"
LRonHoover and Hog Herder nailed it. My god, who cares what people think?

I don't think you people understand. For many of us that wear helmets it isn't so much what people think as when you most half helmets you get this giant ***** head that catches wind. Atleast that is why I look of a smaller, sleeker, half helmet. I could give a f-ck less what you or other think of what I'm wearing, I wear what I want to be protected from weather and road rash. I have yet to try the ACC but I need a new one and they look like they would be small enough, now I'm not so sure.

Quick Reply: ACC Carbon Fiber Helmets - disappointed