General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do lollipops help lower exhaust noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 16,035 Likes on 6,467 Posts

Originally Posted by fsae0607
IME, no. If you want quieter, you need fiberglass-packed baffles. Maybe something like this?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/504-038

JP also sells fiberglass mat to make your own baffles. That's the only way to reduce the volume. One guy at my work has an Evo Softail with the same pipes as me (V&H Longshots) and he has the Big City Thunder lollipops in them. I have the stock V&H regular baffles in my pipes and his is waaaaay louder than mine.
Unfortunately, your seemingly limited personal experience doesn't lend credence to your statement. Fiberglass packing is NOT the only way to quiet exhaust noise. As I said before, the inserts in my wife's bike made a noticeable difference in both sound output and quality. They do this by reflecting sound waves back into the mufflers, which are then partially canceled by the collision with sound waves moving in the opposite direction. Admittedly, the ones I installed are probably a lot more efficient at reducing noise than many others, but they definitely do work. I actually tried the Rush slipons with the 2" baffles only, then installed the TTI inserts (in conjunction with the 2" baffles). There was absolutely no doubt as to their effectiveness in reducing noise.
As an additional counter to your statement that "you need fiberglass packed baffles": There are many, many automotive mufflers on the market that do not use fiberglass baffles. They use a series of chambers that cancel noise in much the same manner that the "lollipop" inserts do, by reflecting sound waves into each other.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:24 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

Happy Birthday 77Tulsa!! Many More.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
Unfortunately, your seemingly limited personal experience doesn't lend credence to your statement. Fiberglass packing is NOT the only way to quiet exhaust noise. As I said before, the inserts in my wife's bike made a noticeable difference in both sound output and quality. They do this by reflecting sound waves back into the mufflers, which are then partially canceled by the collision with sound waves moving in the opposite direction. Admittedly, the ones I installed are probably a lot more efficient at reducing noise than many others, but they definitely do work. I actually tried the Rush slipons with the 2" baffles only, then installed the TTI inserts (in conjunction with the 2" baffles). There was absolutely no doubt as to their effectiveness in reducing noise.
As an additional counter to your statement that "you need fiberglass packed baffles": There are many, many automotive mufflers on the market that do not use fiberglass baffles. They use a series of chambers that cancel noise in much the same manner that the "lollipop" inserts do, by reflecting sound waves into each other.
With automobile mufflers the chamber is much larger and there is more room for the baffling. Many are also specifically designed to be quiet.

Some manufacturers spend a good deal of research tuning it to get the sound quality they are looking for.

Some motorcycles that have larger canisters can do something similar.

A cruiser like a Harley V-twin with the typical pipes are 1 1/2"-2" straight pipes with baffles. There are more limitations within the design of whatever pipes are added to the exhaust port. Of course there are options to tune the sound. Just not quite as many within the exhaust that may be one someone's bike.

Last edited by baka1969; 01-06-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:14 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 16,035 Likes on 6,467 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
With automobile mufflers the chamber is much larger and there is more room for the baffling. Many are also specifically designed to be quiet.

Some manufacturers spend a good deal of research tuning it to get the sound quality they are looking for.

Some motorcycles that have larger canisters can do something similar.

A cruiser like a Harley V-twin with the typical pipes are 1 1/2"-2" straight pipes with baffles. There are more limitations within the design of whatever pipes are added to the exhaust port. Of course there are options to tune the sound. Just not quite as many within the exhaust that may be one someone's bike.
Understood. My point is, the principles remain the same.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Thank you for the links and the many different ideas. Your suggestions have made me wonder if setting the circular portion of the lollipop at a downward angle to deflect the noise downward towards the ground will minimize the noise even further. I am going to build a few "plain ones" and a few in different angles to see of there is a difference.

As for the matting for the baffles, I would imagine that the density of the material makes a difference, if so, would you have a source for acquiring a denser matting than what Rush offers?

Old 01-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Wouldn't lollipops melt and make the pipe sticky?
There's a sucker born every minute!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 997 Likes on 751 Posts

The lollipops work by deflecting (relfecting?) the exhaust back towards the motor. With the TTI's there is very little space between the disc and the muffler body. By angling the disc down it will make it much louder.
I've made my own lollipops but the TTI's are way more effective. They are contoured, not flat. And if you fab them with a washer there is a hole in the washer.
I've read where you can get good fiberglass matting from marine supply stores or marinas..

The following 2 users liked this post by nevil:
DK Custom (01-07-2017), Labrador (01-09-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Default homemade lollipops for pipes

This is what I put in my V&H long shots .Because I didn't like the hollow sound that they made. And they did work very well. The one I made from the drawing I also drilled a 5/8'' hole in the center of it and it was welded to the front of the baffle on a 45* angle. And the other is just a cabinet handle from Homedepot with a 90* ell bracket .

Attached Thumbnails Do lollipops help lower exhaust noise?-stp1a.jpg   Do lollipops help lower exhaust noise?-stp2.jpg   Do lollipops help lower exhaust noise?-stp3.jpg  

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 01-07-2017 at 07:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Labrador (01-09-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:12 PM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by mctraveler
Happy Birthday 77Tulsa!! Many More.
Thank you, Don't feel like a senior citizen but I'll take any discounts I can get! Liquor store gave me 10% off yesterday for my birthday, so the savings are already starting to roll in!!

The following users liked this post:
Recan (03-02-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:35 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by mustang8998
There's a sucker born every minute!
Dum Dum

Quick Reply: Do lollipops help lower exhaust noise?