General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transform Your Harley-Davidson into a "Reverse Trike" with a Tilting Motor Works Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:10 PM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

An engineer friend of mine said positively have two tires in front for handling, traction and safety. I watched the Leno thing and think this looks like a hoot. Plus, I love my bike, so I wouldn't have to give it up.

Harley Trikes have a single axle. You have to go to a Gold Wing to get independent rear suspension. This thing has front independent suspension. Win-win.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:25 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,009 Likes on 5,694 Posts

If it keeps me riding for a few more years I'm in.
The tilt feature is a plus.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:47 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 1,711 Posts

This is an interesting concept!
Certainly something to consider for someone considering a three-wheeler, and especially tempting if you have a newer model bike to convert.

My cousin bought a Tri-Glide last year and the guy that I do most of my riding with is planning on buying a '17 Tri-Glide.

I'm not quite ready yet but for the riding that I do a Tri-Glide would work well.

I do agree that H-D needs to do some updating on both of their trikes and an independent rear suspension would be a good start.
The other needed improvement(s) (IMO) would be a real reverse gear instead of a wimpy starter motor and a set of fully adjustable handlebars.

I've sat on the Can-Ams and I find the seating position, the handlebar position, and the limited feet/leg room (at least for me) unacceptable.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 05-19-2016 at 11:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cajunlowrider (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 01:56 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't know, man...I used to think that if I were getting on in years to the point that I could no longer hold up my Harley safely, I would rather just give riding up than ride a regular trike. But this has me rethinking that position. While it doesn't look as good as a two-wheeler, it's more like a two-wheeled bike to ride, without letting the bike fall over (I know there's a joke about training wheels in there somewhere). It seems it would keep the fun and excitement in riding, while offering the stability that senior riders need. For me, it would either have to be this or a side-car bike. Regular trikes would out of the question for me...

EDIT:
Here in Japan, they've got these 50cc delivery vehicles with two-wheels in the back and one up front, like a regular trike, but that you can lean into turns with. I struck up a conversation with a little old granny riding one just the other day. They look like a blast to ride and the design is something that Harley could take some cues from...

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 05-20-2016 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:02 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If my only choices were riding one of those (or a real Can-Am) or walking . . . how far would I have to walk?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM
cajunlowrider
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Something you created?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 AM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of these years...when I'm in my 80s or 90s...if my vision, coordination, and reactions permit I will ride what I ride...2-wheels...3-wheels...assist wheels...Ys...reverse Ys...hacks...m3w...

for instance: if anyone thinks a super-senior rider or a rider with limited mobility who likes to be in the wind will give a rat's *** what others think, think again lol...

instead of ridiculing another's choice that happens to differ from the choice of your own badass self lol, perhaps a quiet and knowing nod of approval that THAT RIDER on a trike, no matter what configuration is still riding in the wind...we all started somewhere and we'll all end up somewhere...never say never lol...

ride safely, ride often, RIDE....

Last edited by nuttbaggerr; 05-20-2016 at 09:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nuttbaggerr:
1goindiesel (05-20-2016), cajunlowrider (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a comworker who lost both legs in a motorcycle accident. He was lamenting that he now rides a trike due tomhis handicap, but he misses leaning through the twisties. This would be perfect for him.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunlowrider
Something you created?
I wish. That one is built by a local place- American Bike and Trike. All they do is custom trikes and sidecars. http://www.americanbikeandtrike.com

Quick Reply: Transform Your Harley-Davidson into a "Reverse Trike" with a Tilting Motor Works Kit