EVO All Evo Model Discussion

96 ultra handlebar air reservoirs relocated

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM
terry rowland
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ultra handlebar air reservoirs relocated

Want to relocate air line out of the handlebars. Would like info how you did yours. Also what and where you got the parts. Thanks for info. I have the inner fairing off being painted.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Not much help, but: I can't even remember the last time I put air into mine. In fact, I don't even think the damn anti-dive works on mine anymore.

If you want to retain it, consider getting a crashbar from a pre-93 (or whenever they moved it to the handlebars) 'glide. It's got the spots for the Shrader and the airline.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:49 AM
legacycycles
Oops

I havent done mine or any others but it really wouldnt be that difficult.You dont really need the "reserve" that the bars offer.You can purchase all of the lines and fitting youll need at youre Big truck repair shop,the air lines and fittings are exactly the same.You could allways do it like the later models and mount the schrader valve in the rear of the motorcycle next the rear shock valve.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
If you want to retain it, consider getting a crashbar from a pre-93 (or whenever they moved it to the handlebars) 'glide. It's got the spots for the Shrader and the airline.
I have a 1990 and in the parts list it looks as if they changed over in model year 1988. My air system seems to work still.

Terry, what do you have in mind doing this?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take the schrader valve out of the handlebars, get a bulkhead fitting that fits the schrader valve and install it into the fairing, etc. Then get a barb fitting that fits the other side of the bulkhead fitting. Run a hose from the barb fitting to the fitting on the anti-dive valve. If you want you can coil some extra hose for a resosoir, it's up to you.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 PM
legacycycles
Oops

Originally Posted by miacycles
Take the schrader valve out of the handlebars, get a bulkhead fitting that fits the schrader valve and install it into the fairing, etc. Then get a barb fitting that fits the other side of the bulkhead fitting. Run a hose from the barb fitting to the fitting on the anti-dive valve. If you want you can coil some extra hose for a resosoir, it's up to you.
Not a Bad Idea...As you can see there are plenty of options,its just a matter of where you want it located.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:33 PM
terry rowland
Novice

so i can try different grips

Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by terry rowland
Ah, I understand! Some after-market grips come with a hole in the end for access to the valve in the lefthand one. I have H-D Nostalgia grips on mine, so you may not have to change anything if you are lucky.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terry rowland
I have an air reservoir in my handlebars, and I have had several different grips on my bike. You just have to take the left grip off to add air to the system... but I've only done that once, shortly after I got the bike. Unless you have a leak somewhere, the air should stay at the same pressure in there for a long time. You don't need grips with the hole in the end!

Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We modify the handlebar and the grips on our shop '95 FLHTC. We are using the Kuryakyn throttle boss grips.

Quick Reply: 96 ultra handlebar air reservoirs relocated