EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'87 Radio problems - need ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
IDIDNTDOIT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Radio problems - need ideas!!!

I posted this on the electrical forums and got no response:

I searched the site and can't find info on the older radios. My radio power button lights up and nothing else. The company that built it for Harley is Radio Sound and they service '88 and newer "there was too many custom parts in these units and we no longer service them." The unit looks kind of like a shaft style once you take the face plate off, I would have to butcher the fairing inner to fit a newer one. The '88 and up fairing inner losses two of the gauges (oil temp and clock) and I am told by Biketronics that the wiring is quite different. HELP!!!!!!

Anybody deal with this in another way???? I really don't want to lose the hand controlls, Please help.

Bill

Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What I would do is talk to someone in one of those electronics places that do the import cars and stuff. It is amazing what they do in those kids cars now a days and i bet a good shop would be able to hook it up real nice.

If you just want to get the original fixed and are not open to making a change then they still might be able to help if nothing else then telling you who might be able to fix it.

Need to think out of the box sometimes.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Could've sworn I posted...

Don't know if this is applicable for your year model but: RADIO DIAGNOSTICS

To enter the radio diagnostic mode, press any two (2) station preset buttons simultaneously while turning ignition on. There are five (5) diagnostic modes (D1-D5) plus Automatic Volume Control (AVC) setting. Digits will change from 0 to 1 when function button is operated. If digit does not change, there is either a short or open on that circuit (see Service Manual or ED for codes). To cycle through the various diagnostics, use the LO/DX button.

D1: Switch Function Mode will display a five (5) digit binary code at the top of the LCD.
Digit 1=Mode set, up & down
Digit 2=FPTT, RPTT, Volume up & down
Digit 3=Audio in, Squelch-, Eject
Digit 4=Audio-, Squelch+
Digit5=Audio+

D2: LCD displays an 8-digit code
Digit 1=PTT microphone Digit 2=Vehicle speed Digit 3=VOX break Digit 4=CB SQ break Digit 5=IC on/off Digit 6=CB on/off Digit 7=SPKR SW B Digit 8=SPKR SW A

D3: LCD function=Illuminates all display items in LCD.

D4: Model year=Select model year as prompted.

D5: Software=Displays software information

AVC: Automatic Volume Control=Adjusts volume to engine speed. 0 to 4 range with 2 the factory setting and 4 being the most aggressive setting.

Does everything seem to function but no sound? I'd check the output for the speakers on the radio back.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I had one I threw out a few months ago - worked, but the cassette was shot and the LED for the stations was out. It never did receive like I thought it should. Same story here, took it out, sent it off, they sent it back saying obsolete - no parts. Sony makes a direct "plug n play" for the 92 thru whatever, but I'm afraid you're going to loose your handlebar controls unless you can get that one working (no replacements) and the values (functions) of your switches are a different animal of the newer HD radios.

Mine had 2 fuses, one for switched power, one for memory (always on) If the memory fuse was removed, it wouldn't come on. I expect you've checked all that, but just a thought.

You won't have to trim much of your fairing to install a "single DIN" type mount radio. There's hundreds of different brands to choose from. I looked for years for a working replacement and gave up. Finally went with a BOSS marine CD/FM off ebay for 99.00. Too much vibration on my fairing to play a CD, but the receive is fantastic. Also, many marine type radios have a SCAN feature. Most car audio only scan the presets, but these will scan the band looking for a station, which is an almost necessary feature on a bike, especially when you've lost the handlebar controls otherwise. Losing the auto volume is the biggest disappointment for me.

Hate being the bearer of bad news... just don't "shoot the messenger" OK?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:36 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought the diagnostic would be no good.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:13 PM
IDIDNTDOIT
Cruiser

I found another inner fairing that a friend had from his, his took a deer hit and so he changed the bike to a Road King style. I plan on using that inner, it only needs a little repair, and I hope to color match it to the bike and modify it to fit the new radio. According to my shop manual the '88 and up went to a 8 pin connector where mine is 6 for the bar controls and Biketronics sells the kit for '88 and up...... now I find out the '88 - '95 volume and tuning switches are obsolete, crap, anyone have a set of them laying on the shelf????? Take-off or nos, don't care. If they had the housings all the better.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Seeing another person willing to try something I gave up on a couple years ago, got me interested again so I've done some more research. I didn't know about Biketronics back then (no one told me) and honestly, it's doubtful I'd spent the necessary bucks to do the deal.

Found a guy on ebay who has "radio installation kit" part# 77039-85 and advertises it works from 85 - 96. I'm not so sure, because today I read the contents of that kit from an old HD dealer accessory book which lists all the included parts and the switches are the older part number 71592-86, and 71593-86 (pre-88 which are 71592/93-88 respectively) Also, I looked in the oldest accessory catalog they had (95) and the radio installation kit for the "then" current radio was a different number. So.....

Even if you find the handlebar switches, you're going to have another major issue with the plug that goes into the radio itself - the Biketronics converter box is wired to accept the 88-95 plug, not the 87 which I know is totally different.

If you could find the entire radio installation kit for an 88-95, and the wiring harness/switches off another bike, you've still looking at a $500 radio/converter kit from Biketronics. They also have the handlebar switch kits for bikes that came without a radio for $350, for a total of about $850.00.

Again, I know none of what I have told you is "good" news, but sharing information through a forum is why we're here, right?
So best of luck in your quest, and do give us an update when you figure out which way you go with it.

Update: Here is a new HD radio for the newer harness if you think you can come up with one and the switches, looks like the 88-95 era radios aren't so rare as the ones we have (had).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...ayphotohosting

Last edited by t150vej; 11-16-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 11-26-2008, 04:29 PM
IDIDNTDOIT
Cruiser

Just an update, I bought a kit for adding radio to a 87-92 and it came with new switches, and the '87 style cover and it is all new. I should be able to us a Biketronics converter, a new Sony that works with them and this kit and get there (I hope!!). I am waiting for a luggage-rack/backrest and backrest pad from E-bay to get here and am installing a set of nostalgia bag guards for the newer bikes on it. They are a little long but still look very good to me. Thanks again for the help.

Bill

Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have a CB, make sure that the Push to talk switch isn't stuck as it will kill the radio. This is a common problem with older HD's. Hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:56 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

I have to ask, did you buy the radio kit off ebay, or is it publically available?

Quick Reply: '87 Radio problems - need ideas!!!