EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Changing the drive belt?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Franko92
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the drive belt?????

Has anyone changed their drive belt? mine broke yesterday at 33,000 miles, belt looked new, but must have had a weak spot.
left me stranded foran hour, waiting for a wrecker, thank God the driver was very polite and concerned about scratching the bike.
My question is; can it be changed at home without alot of work, or should I just take it to a dealer? and does the primary have to come apart, or can the belt be slipped in without disassembly?
The bike is due for a rear tire, maybe I should just let the dealer kill two birds with one stone?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Greybeard Bob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing the drive belt?????

It can be done at home if you have a lift and a good set of tools, the entire primary drive chain/sprockets/clutch and the inner/outer primary covers has to come off plus the swing arm too. Read the procedure in your service manual and see if you're up for it. JMHO, YMMV, etc.

Bob

Old 06-01-2008, 01:31 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

You might want to get an estimate from the dealer,with it you might decide it is time to buy the tools to do it yourself.Good Luck

Old 06-01-2008, 02:41 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,119 Posts

I agree with all the above

Clearly, wrenching isn't for everyone, but it will be pricey at the dealer (or anywhere else) and it is a big job, but like most, the dread is the worst part.

I'm curious about the belt actually breaking... too tight maybe or got loose to the point of slapping?

Spoke with a guywho lost 2 belts on an '84 and went to chain/sprocket..... never knew why his broke. The dealer did all his work.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Franko92
Intermediate

Well, I decided to tackle the job myself, I have restored a few cars, so I have the mechanical knowledge, and I have the factory maual. so all should... (fingers crossed) go well!
I figured if I let the dealer do it, I wont be learning anything...I already know how to right a check, so why not tear into it myself. Im sure I will have to purchase a few special tools along the way, and I'll probably be posting a few more times if I hit a "bump in the road"
Thanks for the feedback, and I'm curious as to why the belt broke so early myself...I have read they should last 80-100,000 miles??
The break was clean, not jagged, so Im thinking it had a weak spot from the start?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2008, 05:37 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Who knows? Maybe somebody kinked it sometime before it was installed on your bike. I believe in the paperwork that comes with them there is a warning about bending them too much.
If you are able, put up some pics at different points along the way in your R&R of the belt.
I hope it goes well for you.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My original belt ('92 FXRS) has 100,000 more miles on it than yours, so I'd agree yours was either defective or kinked during the installation at the factory. Good luck on changing it.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need to remove the swingarm. Usually removing the swingarm block on the left side, and then removing the isolator on that side will give you enough room to fit the new belt thru. This is assuming you are replacing the belt on the FXR in your post.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48173/265F3A2D6C964B18A5D76AD1EC01DDB1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Franko92
Intermediate

Thanks Bigtone, I was about to pull the swingarm, but your right, I can just remove the block and slide it in.
I have to get the clutch compressor tool tomorrow from Harley...$$$ im sure, before i can continue. I hope to have it back together by the weekend.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:34 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

You may not even need the clutch tool,you will need the tool to jam your primary chain to get comp sprocket off.NEVER use an impact on the comp spocket.Remember the clutch hub is a left hand thread.Have fun!

Quick Reply: Changing the drive belt?????