Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2013 dyna vs FXR -handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Which FXR has a wet weight 100lbs less than the Street Bob? The SB is 672 wet and the lightest FXR model I found ('91 FXRS low rider sport) was 612. Most of the others weigh in around 620.

I know my '79 FXS handled well for a HD and I'm sure the newer FXR's were an improvement, but I'm not so sure a 20+ year old evo powered FXR will substantially out handle a new street bob.

I know for sure they were down 20 HP over the 103.

Both are cool bikes though, so either is a winner.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
Which FXR has a wet weight 100lbs less than the Street Bob? The SB is 672 wet and the lightest FXR model I found ('91 FXRS low rider sport) was 612. Most of the others weigh in around 620.

I know my '79 FXS handled well for a HD and I'm sure the newer FXR's were an improvement, but I'm not so sure a 20+ year old evo powered FXR will substantially out handle a new street bob.

I know for sure they were down 20 HP over the 103.

Both are cool bikes though, so either is a winner.
Finding the true weight of an FXR is tough because there were so many varients, but on avarage, they are roughly 100 pounds lighter..

Weight is only one factor regarding the handling, it's more about the frame and the pivot shaft (swingarm).. FXR's are many times stiffer than a Dyna on both accounts..

I have owned and ridden many FXR's and Dynas and have yet to see ANY Dyna even close to the nimble feeling the FXR has..
As far as power, stock Dynas are slightly more powerful but the EVO's are easier and cheaper to get power from... It doesn't take much at all to get an EVO powered FXR past the power of a TC powered Dyna...

Now if you want to talk about extreme engine mods for max HP an EVO will crush a TC in power and reliability for the same cost spent on mods...

If you want a Harley that handles, get an FXR

Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

I beg to differ...I was origionally going to start with an FXR; then an FXR frame with a TC motor, finally settled on an FXDXT and a lot of cash...ended up with a 600lb 111hp 117ft lb HD that has carried me thru 26 states 6 provinces and a LOT of curvy roads. As was pointed out to me by people I respect for their advice, the EVO/FXR was/is a nice bike, but it's last century's tech now. My T is getting so old many tech's don't even know what it is; the FXDF I'm replacing it with is heavier and slower but I enjoy riding too much to nurse an antique around.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The FXR is a badass bike for the twisties. I learned on one and my dad still has it with 88k miles on it. Original motor, trans and he barely did the clutch 2k miles ago. He's done gaskets over the years, but nothing major. As said above you are definitely going to want to do some suspension work and motor work. My street bob is smoother, faster and handles just fine. If you are commuting though I would be cautious at what FXR you buy because if you buy one with low milage you are probably going to have to change gaskets and such that might be dried out from sitting. Especially in SoCal! If your primarily going to be commuting then playing hard on the weekend I would go for the new bike unless you plan on modding the hell out of the motor. Crusing the 101 with my dad he gunned at 70 in 5th and I was in 6th and I kept up and I was barely rolling the throttle. If I dropped it into 4th or 5th I would have blew by him easily. Getting on the freeway he can't catch me again I'm not at WOT. My dad gets by on the SoCal freeways just fine, but my preference for those freeways is more power. Now my buddy with a 93 FXR had a built S&S 114" in his and that thing was a rocket. He would still pull at 120mph where my dads 90 FXR tops out at 98 mph. IMO it all depends on how much work you want to put into the FXR. As a primary bike I would go with the new bike and look for a FXR later. I hope to inherit my dads or find one when I'm ready for bike 2 or 3 someday. My dad bought his FXR new in 90 and when he rides my bike he's amazed at the power and still has a big fat grin on his face.

Name:  DSC_0122.jpg
Views: 3895
Size:  122.9 KB
Name:  DSC_0117.jpg
Views: 8127
Size:  146.7 KB

Last edited by JaronB; 12-28-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

I might beg to differ also. I have had FXR and now have FXDX with true-track, fork brace, and better than stock tires and also a XR1200. Both of these bikes would eat an FXR through a mountain road. On the XR it wouldn't even be close.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

1990 Production year

FXRS-CON Convertible
Weight dry 564 lbs

FXR Super Glide
Weight dry 575 lbs

FXRS Low Rider
Weight dry 575 lbs

FXLR Low Rider Custom
Weight dry 575 lbs

FXRS-SP Low Rider Sport Edition
Weight dry 584 lbs

FXRT Sport Glide
Weight dry 654 lbs

FXRP Police Edition
Weight dry 683 lbs

2012 Production year

FXDB Street Bob
Weight Shipped 637 lbs
Weight Running Order 670 lbs

FXDC Super Glide Custom
Weight Shipped 648 lbs
Weight Running Order 679 lbs

FXDWG Wide Glide
Weight Shipped 650 lbs
Weight Running Order 668 lbs

FXDF Fat Bob
Weight Shipped 673 lbs
Weight Running Order 706 lbs

Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 176 Posts

Lots of good points in this thread.

I've been riding a 2006 Sportster for the last 6 years and I love the damn thing, but, I really want a Super Glide. I know a few guys with FXR's and they say my Sportster is almost like a mini FXR since it's rubber-mounted, light-weight and handles great. Comments like that made me start looking at FXR's because they're smaller and lighter than a Dyna, but, still bigger than the Sportster. I'm not sure about spending the cash on something that old though.

I'd like having the reliability of a newer Dyna, but, it would be more satisfying finding a good used one where the original owner has already paid for the depreciation.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll ask this, because I don't know for sure... but wouldn't the Fat Bob be the better handing bike out of the current Dynas?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Jaron - your dad's bike is definitely a great specimen of the FXR ...

I think the trade off (after taking into account the potential reliability concerns of the older bike) is as follows: front suspension, rear shocks and Tru-track/Sputhe for the Street Bob to fix issues with stock handling ... significant motor work on the FXR's Evo to close the torque/power gap with the FXDB ...

Depends on what the original poster's finances look like and whether it might make sense to try to find a 2006-up garage queen with low miles ... or an '08-up Fat Bob (to get the dual front discs) ...

I rode a friend's Evo Heritage Softail for a few weeks one time while my bike was down ... he had 'jetted' his carb and SE slip ons ... might have had a cam, too (not sure) ... bike had pretty good motivation ... maybe not exactly a Twin-Cam's worth ... but, you kind of get used to whatever you're on in pretty short order ...

Good luck with the decision ... a lot of good input on the thread ...

R/
'Chop

Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM
SoCalHDrider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. Alot of good information.

Quick Reply: New 2013 dyna vs FXR -handling