Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arlen Ness headlight install questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
Question Arlen Ness headlight install questions?

Hey fellas.. I just purchased an Arlen Ness 5 3/4 inch stretched 6061 billet aluminum headlight for my 2012 SG.. and am looking for input and/or any guidance.

The stock Headlight, which is barely functionable.. but legally required to get you out the door.. had to go... Im guessing the MoCo must have gotten in touch with the makers of microwave ovens, fishtanks and other appliance sources for guidance on illumination in the instance of the stocker... jeez..

My questions are: the Ness light comes with a blue, green and white wiring as the harness. I am replacing the con. pins with HD molex as the Ness ones wouldnt work. I know that one of the 3 of the wires has to be a ground and the other 2 have to be hot for high and low beam. Does it matter which wire I connect for each purpose? The manual for my Dyna shows Black= ground (obviously) Blue/white= High Beam, Blue/yellow= Low beam for the stock light.

Secondly, This light is considerably longer (7+ inches, but the same diameter as stock 5 3/4) and with the the mounting boss on the light.. ( its a big heavy mother).. Im not sure of what type of mounting block to use. I need one that will allow the light to be "centered" and not to high or to low. Also, I dont want the light to poke out away from the bike.. I want it recessed as far back as safely possible towards the steering knuckle without interferrence issues.

I always run a windshield and am glad that this light will actually emit past the edge of the windshield and take away the back glare effect I have been experiencing.

Thanks for your time and input.

Attached Thumbnails Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-an-stretched.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior

Well after some research and some digging I was able to get most of it figured out... The wiring order was:

AN Blue= HD Black / Ground
AN White = HD Blue, Yellow / Low Beam
AN Green = HD Blue White / High Beam

I am also going to go with the mount (see addendum) as it is not far from all of the measurements and angles I took for mounting the light.

I will try to get some pictures of the light when its completely mounted on the bike.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior

Having computer issues... here is the mount..

Attached Thumbnails Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-1-0004-2ca-mount.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Very nice light, post pics when nstalled

Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 PM
jpicht
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight mount

I went with the Cobra II headlight. When I first mounted the headlight, I thought I would need the mount to push it out further. However, once I had it mounted, it stuck out too far for my taste. I later mounted it right above the mounting hole and it was perfect.

1st Attempt:
Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-dsc01001.jpg
Much Better:
Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-dsc01007.jpg

Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jpicht
I went with the Cobra II headlight. When I first mounted the headlight, I thought I would need the mount to push it out further. However, once I had it mounted, it stuck out too far for my taste. I later mounted it right above the mounting hole and it was perfect.

1st Attempt:
Attachment 280809
Much Better:
Attachment 280810
Thanks bro.. I will get some pics as soon as I have her up and runnin.. and ugh.. that top pic is hideous.. that second one though is spot on.. and looks great.. wish I could've used a similar mount , but the mounting girdle on this light is a heavy odd shapped mother... thus the reason for the game "name that mount?"

cheers

Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior

Well I finished the light install on the SG.. I used the twisted chopper mount I got on ebay for $52.00 or so and this is how it turned out.. pretty sharp.. and it took me about an hour or so for disassembly, cleaning and another hour or so for reassembly..

and I think it turned out alright..

Attached Thumbnails Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-twisted-c-1.jpg   Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-new-light2.jpg   Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-new-light1.jpg   Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-new-light3.jpg   Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-new-light4.jpg  

Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior

Decided to flip the mount and go underneath the lower triple to give the headlight a more centered/ lowered/ recessed look.. may at a later date cut me off about an inch or so from this mount and redrill it and see what I come up with.. but for now here is the latest pic..

Attached Thumbnails Arlen Ness headlight install questions?-bike-5.jpg