Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_lamarre
Strobe.. is that a memphis shades windshield? i'm running the same batwing on my fatbob
Yes it is. Since I got mine they added more choices to the spoiler lineup.

http://memphisshades.com/harley-shad...windshields-hd

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing-ms-hd-spoiler-hd.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
MacH
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDF batwing

Strobe,
have you noticed a decrease in buffetting? I run an HD detachable on my F/Bob and it is a nightmare. I am about 6' tall and the screen is trying to twist my head off. Was looking at the Memphis Shades batwing and spoiler but really needed confirmation of someone using them as they are expensive here "over the pond" Cost to me is 1$ = 1£. Will be grateful for any replies on subject.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizims
Just have seen it on the interwebs. Looking forward to seeing it in person. I'm curious about the detachable set-up. How easy is it to take on and off and how much hardware is left behind when it is off.
I have the Memphis Shades on my Wide Glide. Same basic design as for the Fatbob. It comes on and off in about 10 seconds. The hardware left behind are the clamps that hold it onto the forks. The Batwing is far better at blocking wind than any windshield you will find.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MacH
Strobe,
have you noticed a decrease in buffetting?
I'm 5'11". I started with the batwing and 5" regular shield. Buffeting was irritating coming right down on the top of my head. It would knock my sunglasses around.

Next I tried the Spoiler 6.5" shield on it and that helped reduce the buffeting alot. Still hitting the top of my head but no where near as bad. Recently they came out with 5" and 9" spoiler windshields.

I added wind deflectors and that cut down on the buffeting and noise considerably more. Highly recommend these.

I have not experimented much with adjusting the angle of the fairing. I'm pretty happy where it is now. I've taken the fairing off a couple times but it goes right back on. Pretty much permanent.

If I duck down just a little the wind does'nt hit the top of the head. Maybe a 9" shield is in the future. I also noticed going to the bare bones seat gets me down lower and wind deflection is better.

Hope that helps..

Current setup

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing-221.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM
MacH
6th Gear

Thanks Strobe,
Certainly seems to be a decrease in buffetting. The last time I used the HD shield I was using the Sundowner seat, have changed to solo LePera Silhouette which, like the Bare Bones is a deal lower. Maybe need to save my pennies for a batwing!

Regards,
Mac

Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM
sacu
6th Gear

I too have a terrible time with buffeting also on my 08 fat bob, pretty much ruined my HD shield. Drilled it, cut it, angled it, raised lowwered nothing good has come from it. Just got the bat wing on with the 6.5" shield and still have the buffeting thou not as bad, I'm 5'11" and the wind hits me right in the middle of my forehead. Just ordered the 9" spoiler so I should have it next week. I did notice the the buffeting is a lot less with a 1/2 helmet vise a full faced on. Also as MacH as done the sundowner seat had to go, just puts me up to high. They also make a 12" straight shield now, but I don't think it would look good on my bike.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
MacH
6th Gear

Hi sacu, feel your pain with the HD screen. Please let me know how it goes re. buffeting, with the 9" spoiler, a pic would be good if you can.

Mac

Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM
sacu
6th Gear

Mac,

I adjusted the wing last night. Moved it as high as I could get it and re-angled it to the most upright position. This helped a lot. Now under 50mph the buffeting comes from the bottom and when I put my arm acrross my chest it stops. I also noticed that the air just hits the top of my helmet.

On the highway is a different story. Although I get air flow from the bottom blocking it has no effect on the buffeting. The airflow from the top moves down the faster I go and hits me in the forehead @60.

Still hoping a 9" shield will do the trick when it gets in.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM
MacH
6th Gear

Hi Sacu,
Is it the plain 6.5" screen or the spoiler variety you are running?. Some folks say that deflectors are a big help and also doing something about the gap between headlights and wing(fill with foam strip). Hopefully you will find a difference with the 9" spoiler

Last edited by MacH; 04-09-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: wrong numbers
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
sacu
6th Gear

I'm using the 6.5" spoiler right now. I'm also going to try with no shield at all. Got an emaill last night saying the 9" was shipped so hopefully I'll have an update this weekend.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob detachable Batwing Fairing