Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Plasti-Dip Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidson Harley
Well I have read this entire post. I have watched almost every dip my car youtube video. My wife thinks I am insane and is begging me not to do it. Ah I barley ever listen to her,(then find most time I should have) Thats another story.
I have decided I am going to try something I have not seen on here. But I would like some honest opinions from some of you guys that have used this stuff. I only saw two example of where guys used this on their tins. I thought they looked out standing. The next two pics are what I am about to try. Do you think in your experience with the product this is possible?

I have this

want to try to get something like this
TOTALLY POSSIBLE!

This is my dip from 2 years ago. It is 100% dipped tins.

Name:  Dan-MolasPass_zpscbb3242e.jpg
Views: 2476
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  Finished6_zps6a4f1f65.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  TwoToneTaping_zps04ae578d.jpg
Views: 2361
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  TwoToneSideCover_zps17ec79df.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  85.6 KB

Old 01-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Womack
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been using Plasti-Dip on my rims and this stuff is great.
Here is a picture of my 2015 Roadglide Special with my rims dipped.
I have done my rims, pullie & horn cover so far and I get comps all the time.
For my rims I always use one can of the dip & one can of the glossifier.
When it comes time to peel and re-do, it peels right off.
Swomack

Last edited by Womack; 01-13-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
TOTALLY POSSIBLE!

OH! I am in big trouble! That looks fricking awesome to me! That is even a very cool shade of orange! The only thing is you have made me rethink the orange on the bottom. I think I am gonna put it on top just like the 09 CVO orange bird. I have always absolutely loved the look of that 09 CVO. Yea I know mine will not be a CVO cause of some paint--um--dip. I am too old to give a **** what anybody else thinks. I want this! I'm even thinking orange inner farring maybe. Still thinking I want a silver or maybe white stripe separating the two colors, and am going to leave the black the vivid black that is on it now. I have a boat show I am doing all the rest of this week and weekend. Next week this is my project.

I will let you guys know the progress--I will take some pics.

Did you have to re tape between every coat? or did you just pull it wet after the last one?

Old 01-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Thanks for the compliment Davidson Harley. I figured the same as you that I wanted to experiment and knew I could get the paint fixed later if I screwed up. 7 years and no issues...

Clearly Pumba wins the Dip prize..that is some serious skills. Well done! I've never had damage under my dip, although I'm not doubting Power Pro's experience. Juat hasn't been an issue for me even after a few years. It does just peel right off. Doing enough coats is key though for it to be thick enough to grip itself while peeling. Here's something I did last year.

Name:  photo%202_1.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  261.8 KB

Nothing fancy of course...still deciding if I like it...

I will say that putting gas in the tank is a much more cautious process now. It liquifies almost instantly when it hits the dip so avoid splatter or drops. I recently did a touch up which was painless and easy, but mine is a solid color. I'd plan to keep any tricky parts of your pattern away from the filler cap in case you need to patch it later.

I think with the "glossifier" finish added (otherwise they are all matte) you pinstrip might stick pretty well.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:26 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
TOTALLY POSSIBLE!

holy **** that looks good!!

Please give some more info on it.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:33 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Thanks for the compliment Davidson Harley. I figured the same as you that I wanted to experiment and knew I could get the paint fixed later if I screwed up. 7 years and no issues...

Clearly Pumba wins the Dip prize..that is some serious skills. Well done! I've never had damage under my dip, although I'm not doubting Power Pro's experience. Juat hasn't been an issue for me even after a few years. It does just peel right off. Doing enough coats is key though for it to be thick enough to grip itself while peeling. Here's something I did last year.

Nothing fancy of course...still deciding if I like it...

I will say that putting gas in the tank is a much more cautious process now. It liquifies almost instantly when it hits the dip so avoid splatter or drops. I recently did a touch up which was painless and easy, but mine is a solid color. I'd plan to keep any tricky parts of your pattern away from the filler cap in case you need to patch it later.

I think with the "glossifier" finish added (otherwise they are all matte) you pinstrip might stick pretty well.

I dig it! I'm kinda partial to the black, but I like that you don't see the green everywhere!

Can you also share your methods and any photos?

Old 01-13-2016, 11:10 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

You don't want to know....

Name:  PAPERWRAPPEDSIDE.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  STRUTSANDTIRES.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  164.1 KB

Actually, the wheels took about 3 hours. That was 7 years ago and holding up great. The tank and fender took about an hour. My method is far from perfect, but it is just blue painters tape and paper painters drop cloth. I mask off what I want to protect from over spray and go to town...Most of what I paint I do right on the bike unless it's easier to remove. Even up close, no one has guessed that it was done in my yard with rattle cans.

...someday I may still get it done "right", but for now I just enjoy it...and still play with changes...

Old 01-14-2016, 10:53 AM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Man, this stuff looks great!
I had asked about a hi temp plasti, and it doesn't look like it is available.

I would like to try it on my chain guard. But how tough is it? Stones and dirt get onto the guard.

Also, has anyone sprayed this stuff on chrome? If so, how does it hold up?

Old 01-14-2016, 11:06 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,395 Likes on 2,027 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
Man, this stuff looks great!
I had asked about a hi temp plasti, and it doesn't look like it is available.

I would like to try it on my chain guard. But how tough is it? Stones and dirt get onto the guard.

Also, has anyone sprayed this stuff on chrome? If so, how does it hold up?
Yes, I sprayed my dash on the Wideglide to get rid of the blinding glare. I love it but can't say how it will last since It was only done last summer.

Attached Thumbnails The Plasti-Dip Thread-plast-dip-dash.jpg  
Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If members have further questions on my two tone dip. Please PM me.

Yes it peels off!

Name:  DipRemovalTank_zps00c8c189.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  82.4 KB

Quick Reply: The Plasti-Dip Thread