Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Frustration~

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 PM
HDexplorer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur with all of you.
It's time for a fairing and/or a batwing and none of this, "change to a single headlight", BS. I love my Fat Bob for cruzing and ripping around the city which is what I do 95% of the time i spend on it. Once a year I go on a two week tour and would love to ditch the windshield for a batwing. In Canada we run into all kinds of weather and a batwing is ideal. Of course I could of bought a Street Glide or Road Glide but I don't want to drive a heavy, combersome and expensive tourer for the 95% of the round town driving. Saw an aftermarket one on the Fat Boy low and it looked good. The Fat Boy Lo has not been around as long as the Fat Bob so what's the deal? I was at the motorcycle show and i talked to the guys at Memphis Shades and they were not even sure they make one for the Fat Bob and when realized they didn't they said some day we will. Well hey guys!! Get on it!! You'll have at least my money!!
Let's start a petition to the aftermarket companies to get one produced. Let's not petition HD as they will price the dang thing to the moon.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
I was thinking one of these rectangular headlight fairings could be modified. I believe Yamaha had some models in the 80's as well. Maybe the Seca II. Most of those have the headlights as part of the fairing. Kinda like the T sport or the HD 1/4. Once you get them mounted in and some fiberglass work, you can fab up your own mounts to get it to sit where you want it.
One of the previous Harley's I had was a XLCR so I am very fimiliar with the HD Cafe 1/4 fairing and well it would be too small and too short for the FXDF. What I am looking at right now is either a Ducati or an after market larger Cafe fairing which has a flatter front section with an opening for a smaller headlight. What I would do is glass in the headlight opening then cut out the opening to fit the Fat Bob duals but this would need to be something larger than the BMW R 90 Cafe fairing to work I think.
Bob

Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fiberglass is very easy to work with. It's messy, but easy. If you aren't happy with it, you can cut, reshape, etc....lexan is relatively cheap too.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HYPR
One of the previous Harley's I had was a XLCR so I am very fimiliar with the HD Cafe 1/4 fairing and well it would be too small and too short for the FXDF. What I am looking at right now is either a Ducati or an after market larger Cafe fairing which has a flatter front section with an opening for a smaller headlight. What I would do is glass in the headlight opening then cut out the opening to fit the Fat Bob duals but this would need to be something larger than the BMW R 90 Cafe fairing to work I think.
Bob
I go on this page on Flipboard on the iPad called bike exif. It has a lot of cafe racers and old style race bikes. You see a lot of different style 1/4 fairings on there. I've seen quite a few with the rectangular light. It might give you some ideas of how to make one work looking on there. Get some ideas other than the typical Harley norm. A lot of the 1/4 fairings can be made more functional with a larger shield as well. Kind of like the Rifle Roadster does.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM
bsljacques
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted just a small shield....so I went with a Gladiator. Pics below...and I am very pleased with it.

Attached Thumbnails Fairing Frustration~-picture-140.jpg   Fairing Frustration~-picture-145.jpg   Fairing Frustration~-picture-146.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I photoshopped a dual headlight fairing for someone a while back.
Here is the thread
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...pics-help.html

Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's badass jstreet!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:50 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like the link to the fairing in the other thread is broken, but this link has it. Kinda pricey though.
http://www.whaccessories.com/ZR7Accessories.htm

Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 350 Likes on 162 Posts

Nice job Jstreet030, thanks for the link.
I like it but $500.00 plus isn't happening anytime soon for this unemployed dirty white boy.
I'll just get a Buell fairing and experiment with that this spring.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
I photoshopped a dual headlight fairing for someone a while back.
Here is the thread
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...pics-help.html

Yep, I saw that the other day and wondered what it would look like. Absolutely perfect in my opinion. It fits the Fat Bob bad *** look perfectly. Now all I need to do is find a fairing that has the similar dimensions and do some fiberglass work I guess.
Bob

Quick Reply: Fairing Frustration~