Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished installing 12" apes on my 11 Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finished installing 12" apes on my 11 Wide Glide

I bought 12" El Diablo 1.25" bars. I bought the cables off a forum member that was off his 2011 Street Bob. I figured i could save some money by using them to replace my stock cables. If all the cables were 2-3" longer they would be perfect i think. Non the less they are all on and working. Let me know what you think. Took it out today to test them out, 35 degrees. I like them. Still need to install the turn signals on the forks and install a left grip. Since my left grip is glued on my old bars i cant get it off.

Oh yea. I was real nervous about his hole job. From depinning the connectors, running the wires in the bars, pulling the trans cover to replace the cable. My plan was to take many pics even a video so others that feel the same way could feel more comfortable. I didnt even get a chance to do it. The job went so easy. Really if your feeling uncomfortable in doing this job to your bike, dont. Just get out there and do it. You will then realize how easy of a job it is. Just take your time. Plus the result of you doing it yourself will leave you much more satisfied.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Great job!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:33 PM
perryross
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking bars and a good idea using SB stock cables.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 PM
LJROY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! Good job!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:41 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good. I would play with your clutch cable placement though. It looks like it might have a good angle to get under the bar. I would try routing it on the otherside of the neck so it it comes out of the lever in front of the the bars, then back through the middle on the right side of the neck and down the right down tube. That's the way I had to route mine to get rid of the tension with these angled bars.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks really good.
When did z-bars also become apes?
I see them referred to all the time as apes now and to me, they were always z bars. Anyway, they look great man, by any name...lol

Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those bars look good! Great job!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM
WIDERGLIDER
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome! I have carlini 14's comin and I'll be posting pics when I get em on!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
Looks good. I would play with your clutch cable placement though. It looks like it might have a good angle to get under the bar. I would try routing it on the otherside of the neck so it it comes out of the lever in front of the the bars, then back through the middle on the right side of the neck and down the right down tube. That's the way I had to route mine to get rid of the tension with these angled bars.
Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I am real happy with the end result.

Jaron. I have tried every way possible for routing. The best was was the way it was done from factory. I mentioned the cables would be nicer if they were 2-3" longer. I drove the bike today and the clutch feels good. Not tight or binding. So i will leave it for now. I believe the stock clutch cable off a 2011 steet bob was 69". My 2011 WG cable was 62" long.

FBinSoCal. I hear ya. But demon cycles, where i got these, call them Ape hangers and Road 6 Customs also call these same style bars ape hangers. I guess my understanding was if they were tall i called ape hangers. Either way i have seen them called both.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I need to get mine on soon before it gets too nice out.

Quick Reply: Finished installing 12" apes on my 11 Wide Glide