Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Wide Glide 2up seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
WVNightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Wide Glide 2up seats?

I have searched the forums and havn't really found what I am looking for,so another seat thread won't hurt huh?My wife really hates the stock pad on the WG,she is ready for a break about 50 miles or so.I checked out seats at the HD shop and they didn't have anything in stock for a Dyna so they put a Sundowner on a Fatboy they had on the floor for me to try.Seat was comfy enough for me and looked good on the FB but I am concerned about how this seat would look on a WG.Most threads I have read say that the Sundowner is huge and bulky.I have looked at the Touring seat online,it's supossed to be a little smaller than the SDer but not by much.For those with WG"s how do you like em?(fit,looks,and comfort)I am open to other suggestions as well,been looking at Mustangs too.I had a solo tripper on my Nightster that was well made and pretty comfy.Just need something that the wifey will like,I have allready had the back rest pad on my detach sissy bar cut and raised to make her more comfortable,but that stock pad aint gettin it.Thanks in advance for the help,Roger

Old 10-20-2011, 04:38 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Sundowner on my 2011 Super Glide.
I like it and don't have the same sentiments as others about
big and bulky.

Think of big and bulky as thick and padded vs small and svelte, as thin and not padded well.

I like my female companions thin and svelte...but not the scooter seat.

Last edited by marcortez; 10-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i personally like my mustang seat. its a 2 pc seat so most of the time its a solo seat. if someone wants a ride the pass pillion goes on in about a minute.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Wide Glide 2up seats?-backrest.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 04:55 PM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

My rallyrunner seat arrives tomorrow. It is a low pro 2 up seat. My wife is tough. She did four hours on my badlander which is only a 5 inch width. The rallyrunner is 8.

Good luck...

Old 10-20-2011, 08:13 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

C&C Sport Tour... Best of the lot and less expensive than the H-D RallyRunner

Couple photos of our WD from a month or so back down below. First two are with the Touring Saddle, aka., the Barcalounger Saddle. Second two are with the C&C Sport Tour saddle. Here is a link to a quick & dirty test YouTube video that lets you see just how much bigger the Touring is vs. the C&C as the bike morphs between configurations: :18 - :22 for the big saddle. Link

This still photo from the video lets you clearly see how much large the Touring saddle is vs. the C&C as well as the stock solo saddle:

Touring is a nice saddle for, well, touring. But way too much saddle for every day use IMHO, noting I'm a small guy @ 5'8" / 165lbs and my wife is about 5'2" / 120lbs, both mid-50s.

Tried a H-D RallyRunner but in addition to several quality issues, the pillion was just a little too narrow @ 8". Thankfully, H-D took it back for a full refund due to the quality issues.

C&C Sport Tour is VERY similar to RallyRunner, as is the Danny Gray. Of the three, the C&C had the widest pillion and most options.

C&C Sport Tour was a quite a bit less $$ than the H-D RallyRunner MSRP, the pillion was 9" wide and has a better shape & feel (according to my wife) and comes in your choice of coverings and all kinds of other options for additional cost. I had a short fuse for an upcoming trip and ordered a basic saddle directly from C&C to keep things simple: they had it in my hands in about 5 calendar days, shipped from CA to GA in late September. I'm a very happy customer with about 600 miles on the saddle so far.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Wide Glide 2up seats?-sdc10440.jpg   2012 Wide Glide 2up seats?-sdc10441.jpg   2012 Wide Glide 2up seats?-sdc10448.jpg   2012 Wide Glide 2up seats?-sdc10453.jpg  

Last edited by FXD_TG; 10-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
rick2800
Tourer

I got the mustang but hate the way it looks so i bought the bigger passenger seat from harley it looks good the wife likes it better than the mustang it is in the harley catalog under passenger pillion part number 51404-10

Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 PM
WVNightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys

Old 10-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Billy&JessFDWG
Intermediate

I have the Sundowner as well as a couple others. My wife pics the sundowner every time, plus these seats change so fast, who cares what it looks like two up, when your enjoying a long tour you can not see the seat with both riders on the bike. Your wife will love you for the sundowner, and then you will both be frustrated when all your travel partners need to stop every 50 miles. Then when you get home and are ready for solo ride these seats change so easily you just throw on the solo seat. The sundowner has a very comfy bucket for the driver as well. With the sundowner on your bike wont be parked long enough for people to tell you the seat is to bulky. This is just my opinion but I am pretty sure your wife will appreciate the opinion. While long touring two up I even put on the big oval back rest pad for my wife its like a recliner back there. She says its just as comfy as our Electra Glide classic.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on having multiple saddles for different riding demands. We have three for our W/G for that very reason: stock solo, C&C and Touring.

You also need to factor in the size, weight, age and fitness of the riders as that can have a profound impact on how suitable a given saddle will be. We're 50 somethings and my wife is fairly petite, fairly athletic and we are also cyclists who spend hours at a time peddling 30 - 100 miles on skinny-little saddles. If she were 5'9" tall with the same proportions, the C&C saddle might not suit her as well.

Finally, there's the issue of suspension comfort. Coming from the sport and sport touring world of motorcycling, I'm used to having a very active suspension system that keeps tires and riders planted when they hit bumps and that's not what comes on H-Ds, nor is it what most aftermarket shocks offer. So, in some respects, the saddle may have to over-compensate for the bike's suspension performance. I've finally given up on "conventional" wisdom for H-D shocks and am going back to what I know works from my sport/sport touring days... Ohlins.

Final note on the Sundowner vs. Touring. We've tried both and the pillion is about the same. The bigger difference was in the front bucket. Both are truly buckets that plant your butt in one place and offer the lateral support that you won't find on the RallyRunner / C&C Sport Touring / Danny Gray saddle design, which can be a good or bad thing depending on the type of riding you're doing and your size. Being somewhat short with only a 30" inseam the buckets and added girth of the Sundowner and Touring increased the standover height to the point where I still could flat foot at stops, but didn't have the additional 1"-2" of leg extension that I have on the stock solo or C&C SportTouring/RallyRunner. I also found that the Sundowner moved me a bit further forward than the Touring which did not suit my preferences. Bottom Line: If your H-D dealer has these saddles in stock, give them all a try in the parking lot and, if they'll let you (they should) take them for a trial run. It's an eye-opening experience to move from saddle-to-saddle.

Quick Reply: 2012 Wide Glide 2up seats?