Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another problem with primary FXDBI `06

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Valv_Kain
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another problem with primary FXDBI `06

Hello! I'm a newbie here. I have a problem with FXDBI 2006, mileage 14,500.

While i'm switching from neutral on first or higher gear works fine.
But then gearing down (3 to 2, 2 to 1, 1 to neutral) grinding noise from primary appears, like something is hinders and hooks from clutch side.
I've remove primary cover and find some metal shaving on inner primary. But clutch hub is in it's place and doesn't play. I wonder how this metal shaving could appear.
Everything works fine, but i'm tired of this noise and afraid it could lead to bigger problems and repair cost would be higher later if i'll ignore this.
The reason of this noise is inner primary bearing or clutch hub bearring? Or something else?

Thank you

Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like you have it mostly all apart, remove the inner primary cover and see how the inner primary bearing race looks. Would be the race left on the transmission shaft. If it is pitted or anything beside smooth and even you need to replace the inner primary bearing and race. I believe Baker makes a improved bearing over the OE Harley.

Last edited by man4mopar; 06-15-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Inner primary bearing is a known issue with the '06 model. Baker does make a replacement bearing that has been solving the issue. It is about $30-40. You have to finish removing the inner primary case but you are just 5 bolts away after you remove the rotor. While you have the rotor out if it is still the original two piece unit, you can have the bolts spot welded. This is another known issue with the '06 model and if those bolts come loose they will destroy the stator and require replacement of both parts.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I see that you may be out of the US. If you can't get a Baker bearing where you are at and you happen to have an APO address send me a PM and we can make arrangements to send you one.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Valv_Kain
Hello! I'm a newbie here. I have a problem with FXDBI 2006, mileage 14,500.

While i'm switching from neutral on first or higher gear works fine.
But then gearing down (3 to 2, 2 to 1, 1 to neutral) grinding noise from primary appears, like something is hinders and hooks from clutch side.
I've remove primary cover and find some metal shaving on inner primary. But clutch hub is in it's place and doesn't play. I wonder how this metal shaving could appear.
Everything works fine, but i'm tired of this noise and afraid it could lead to bigger problems and repair cost would be higher later if i'll ignore this.
The reason of this noise is inner primary bearing or clutch hub bearring? Or something else?

Thank you
The pics indicate a clutch hub that was either so loose that it was falling off or the bearing is shot. If the clutch nut was tight upon removal I would DEFINITELY install a new clutch hub bearing, and go ahead and replace the Inner Primary Bearing with a Baker Hi torque sealed bearing for longevity.

I am confident those 2 steps will cure whats wrong with that bike...

Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Valv_Kain
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your answers, I'll try to repair.