Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before photos - new rear fender for FXD

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may also want to consider putting on the longer WideGlide strut covers on. If I'm not mistaken, they're 4" longer.

See my sig pic to get an idea.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
... are you just color matching the rear fender of are you redoing all the tins at once?
Tank is being done presently ... I have a new front fender ready to bolt up have been holding it to finish work on the rear fender ... will get a bunch of other stuff done ... get the electrical panel cover and the battery cover done to match the tins ....

Get the tombstone tail lamp housing and saddlebag brackets done in gloss black ....

Originally Posted by JimmysFXDC
You may also want to consider putting on the longer WideGlide strut covers on. If I'm not mistaken, they're 4" longer ....
My thinking is to get the strut adapters powdercoated to match the fender so they kind of blend in ... your idea of using the Wide Glide strut covers is a pretty good idea ... but, unless I knew for sure they would work, I'd hate to put up the cash for 'em just to find out otherwise ....

Did a little work on the fender and battery cover this evening ... but, didn't have my camera handy ....

I enlarged the cut-out for the belt guard ... and I hammered the edge turn-in to lie flat along the inner face ....

I turned my attention to the battery cover ... cleaned the rust off it, cut the tabs off, and trimmed the edges to the the size of the Dyna battery ... I got one bend on the rear side and kind of ran up against a brick wall in figuring out how to get it to work ....

I am leaning toward just cutting the side piece off at the edge of the face and then re-attaching it with a few welds ... will mull it over and see how my plan develops ....

Hope to have the fender and the battery box done by the weekend or early next week so I can get on to the next phase ....

R/
'Chop

Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
This is comparative look of intended end result ... more or less ... I am going to go with a tombstone and won't be using the 'lolli-pop' turn signals ... but, my plan is to align the FL fender holes to the stock Dyna strut ....

Attached Thumbnails Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-comparison.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

how about some progress pics. here is your tank on the rack in the strip tank... i think i have one of it blasted as well... ill look to see

Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the update ... look forward to it ....

Do you have any advice how to ship the fenders ...? Had a class in Little Creek so didn't get much done ... but, made a little progress on the battery cover this evening ....

R/
'Chop

Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

A progress photo courtesy JRK5892 ... thanks Joe!

I was thinking of just telling him to lay down a coat of clear and go with a WW II Navy theme ... paint USN on the side of the tank in block letters ....

J/K

... besides it wouldn't look right with that pink hue ... ha ha ha

R/
'Chop

Old 01-21-2011, 12:30 PM
JRK5892
Banned

in looking at the strut extensions, i am thinking it was a really good choice to do them in the gloss black, will look much better IMO... those badges i think are going to be my fav touch on the bike! i keep wrestling with the idea of recomending that you do the light bar on back in the color match to the fender, i think that may look good wiht the black tail light... but then again 1/2 of me thinks that gloss on both will make the tins pop a bit more... i love that hindge fender!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

You're talking about the 'Deluxe' badges ...? I think that'll be subtle ... and I didn't like having the holes there ....

I have a rear fender rail on order ... which I am also planning on blacking out ... so, with the strut extensions in black, the tombstone tail lamp ... I think the turn signal bar should probably be blacked out, too ...

I was even thinking of either painting that little 'moustache' flourish on the fender tip gloss black or getting a chrome fender tip and blacking it out too ... but, that might be a bit much ....

R/
'Chop

Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ya i would leave that the color match on the 'moustache', ha ha ha funny you say that we talked about what that would look like in a new color then decided that would be too much. ya the 'Deluxe' badges done in the color match are going to look mean! i love that idea and i hate badging! with the rails in black i completely agree that the light bar in black would be best

Old 01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

A little foreshadowing of things to come ... Joe said the color is not going to be "Platinum Bronze Metallic" (BMW color code A53) ... but, he appears to be doing me a solid ... hooking me up with (NIC color code UMB 1860) "Satin Titanium" ... see below for sample color and comparative photo of my tins before ... just a little 'variation on a theme' ....

For the time being ... bags, fairing and lower fairings will remain gloss black until I can get them color-matched ....

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Before photos - new rear fender for FXD-satin-titanium.jpg  

Quick Reply: Before photos - new rear fender for FXD