Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim Paint Blues "long read"

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
If the paint is wanting to peel off, adding clear on top won't make it stay any better.

And like somebody else already said: It's already got clear on it. Matt finish clear.
I know clearing bad peeling paint wont help, I stated that if they fix the fender I am thinking of having all the tins cleared to help protect from further issues, I am also one of the people who stated that they are cleared with a matt clear that on my bike is obviously not holding up for sh*t

Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBRob
That sucks you're having so many problems...I've had my '09 black denim street bob for 16 months now and 10,225 miles with no issues at all. No chips, peels or scratches. I just wipe the bike off with a wet micro fiber towel when I'm done riding for the day, and no special care spent with the paint at all. It looks as good now as the day I took delivery of the bike.

I agree with the other posts your bike must have a defective paint job...hope you get it resoved in your favor with MOCO.
My bike has only 7600 miles with all this crap, I agree it was defective from day one. Its like it wasn't primer'd or cleaned properly before painting. I do believe I purchased the last bike made on a Friday before a three day weekend.

Hopefully MoCo sees things my way with less hassle then I went through with the tank. "yeah right"

Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 PM
ShortFatMexican
Cruiser
Default Good Luck

Let us know how you make out with the MoCo. This my first NEW HD and I have always wondered how the Moco would take care of me if something like this happened. BTW, I've had mine 13 months and 13k miles, so far so good. I know you're not supposed to polish denim but I use good ole Honda spray polish in a can every time I clean it. I don't buff it, just wipe it to give it a little extra protection.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser

Sounds like the prep work before the paint job was not done correctly. Hope you get it figured out. I been told by pro painters that the moco's clear coat or matte coats are junk anyway. One guy told me once they start to flake you cant stop it. he had to repait a front fender of a heritage because the clear started flaking. started out about the size of a dime and grew like a chia pet.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
ghostflames
Advanced

A little late to the dance...but I had the identical problem with my Nightster....gloss paint. Under the tank and on the front fender the clear peeled off and soon after the paint underneath started to deteriorate. Moco said touch luck...its cosmetic. Luckily it is in inconspicuous area but its real bad...about the size of a finger length on the tank. So it may not be the flat paint so much as bad prep.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

probably not the answer you're looking for but...

if you keep butting heads with moco, say f*ck it and get yourself a custom paint job.

take the bike to a local guy and tell him you'd like to match the dark blue color in a denim finish, and while you're at it go with white scallops or flames over the top.

thats if you can't stick a foot up the *** of the moco and get what you want.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

No issues with my Black Denim yet ... after all the complaints I've seen, I keep looking, but so far so good.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have denim paint. No issues to date. I do have a chip on my rear fender from a rock (i assume) but its gotten no bigger and cannot be seen without pointing it out. I did however get my first scratch that was my fault... I'm keeping An eye on it now that i read the original post.

I know it hasnt been very long since this was posted, but have you gotten anywhere with the moco, bigdadi???

Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also keep looking for problems with my black ice denim but so far, so good. I have to admit that hubby has to spend hours cleaning gloss black and I just have to hose it off or throw on some windex and I am done.
I have thought about waxing it though. My manual says it will change the look if it is waxed but I love the color of my paint so much that the worse thing that could happen - as I see it - is that it might turn a bit more purple looking. To me that is not such a bad thing.
Sorry to hear about your paint problems - looking forward to hearing how this turns out in the end.

Attached Thumbnails Denim Paint Blues "long read"-100_0474.jpg   Denim Paint Blues "long read"-100_0472.jpg  
Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer

Originally Posted by shimmon
I too have denim paint. No issues to date. I do have a chip on my rear fender from a rock (i assume) but its gotten no bigger and cannot be seen without pointing it out. I did however get my first scratch that was my fault... I'm keeping An eye on it now that i read the original post.

I know it hasnt been very long since this was posted, but have you gotten anywhere with the moco, bigdadi???
Called them Thursday April 1st to see if they had received the pics from the delarship, that were taken 2weeks ago. They told me they cant find them so they were going to contact the dealer and call me back. Here we are going on Wednesday the 7th no call. Big surprise
I will call them myself tomorrow, and will update post when I know something. That custom paint with the white scallops does sound sick, however my wallet and my wife wont be digging that idea.

Quick Reply: Denim Paint Blues "long read"