Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Street Bob seat = Butt Bruiser 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '09 Street Bob seat = Butt Bruiser 350

I've had my new '09 Street Bob for 2 months and 2,000 miles. I have learned that the stock HD seat (Butt Bruiser 350) isn't very good for the long haul (over 300 miles per day). I call it the "Butt Bruiser 350" since 350 miles is about the time when the butt fatigue sets in. This doesn't happen until about 500 miles on my '03 Road King with HD standard seat.

My conclusion is, I need a new seat. I've searched the web and find the Mustang Wide Vintage Solo with Backrest (#79358 list $489) is the best solution. I've seen them listed for sale as low as $439.95.

I've never upgraded from a stock HD motorcycle seat before. Am I headed in the right direction? Any testimonials? Other alternatives before I spend the best part of $500?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Mole Rat
Cruiser

For that kind of money you can have a seat made. http://www.dannygray.com/StandardSeats.asp look at the big seat!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mole Rat
For that kind of money you can have a seat made.
According to Danny Gray website, custom solo seats start at $550, and I'm not sure that includes driver backrest. That's going to be at least $100 more than Mustang.

Danny Gray doesn't list the Dyna Street Bob seat as available, so I'm guessing that's going to be custom.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure you want a backrest on your Street Bob? I picked up a regular Mustang Vintage Solo brand new from an Ebay retailer for like $210.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Mole Rat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SailorDon
According to Danny Gray website, custom solo seats start at $550, and I'm not sure that includes driver backrest. That's going to be at least $100 more than Mustang.

Danny Gray doesn't list the Dyna Street Bob seat as available, so I'm guessing that's going to be custom.
this is what i found:
BigSeat $319.95Driver Gel: Stitch Pattern: Stitch Color: Inlay Material: Estimated Seat Cost: $319.95

Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
You sure you want a backrest on your Street Bob? I picked up a regular Mustang Vintage Solo brand new from an Ebay retailer for like $210.
The list for the regular Mustang Vintage Solo was about $290, so you did good on eBay.

I was first thinking of going without the backrest, but if the backrest is a good thing, I've missed out on it. (It is not an optional add-on.) This way I spend an extra $250 and I can ride with or without the backrest. (It is removeable.)

The driver backrest will also provide a tie-down point for my Iron Rider overnight bag. They recommend tying down to luggage rack and backrest. I have run over 1,500 miles without the backrest. Therefore no backrest or sissybar tie down. So far, no problem, but another 1,000 miles could change that.

Maybe the driver backrest actually helps prevent butt fatigue on those long rides and then I can fully comply with the Iron Rider attachment instructions.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

this is what i found:
BigSeat $319.95 Estimated Seat Cost: $319.95
Maybe this is what you found.

Four things turn me off Danny Gray "Big Seat".

1. No driver backrest.
2. Not on "available" list for Dyna Street Bob (does this mean custom?)
3. Stitching on the front of the seat at the fuel tank looks bad.
4. It's the smallest seat. The stock HD is 14" wide. The Mustang Wide Vintage solo is 16.5" wide. Why would I want to go to 12" wide when 14" is already a "Butt Bruiser 350"?

Danny Gray seems to have a lot of loyal customers, but I can't figure out the value in that.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Mole Rat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SailorDon
Maybe this is what you found.

Four things turn me off Danny Gray "Big Seat".

1. No driver backrest.
2. Not on "available" list for Dyna Street Bob (does this mean custom?)
3. Stitching on the front of the seat at the fuel tank looks bad.
4. It's the smallest seat. The stock HD is 14" wide. The Mustang Wide Vintage solo is 16.5" wide. Why would I want to go to 12" wide when 14" is already a "Butt Bruiser 350"?

Danny Gray seems to have a lot of loyal customers, but I can't figure out the value in that.
I am not sure how big a guy you are but I am over 210 Lbs.
I live very close to the DG factory, they also make High End seats.
I agree with you when you say that you want a backrest.
I believe that the DG seat is so well liked because of it's fit. Which I believe is more important than the width.
If you live near a dealer and they would put it on your bike so that you could sit on it, that would be the test.

But, this is a different for everyone. I am on my 3rd seat and now I plan to go with a DG. I ride a lot too, I have almost 30,000 miles on my 06 SB.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser

I am not sure how big a guy you are but I am over 210 Lbs.
I can't remember how many years ago it was that I was a "slim 'n trim" 210 lbs. But trust me when I say it was a long, long time and a lot of brewski's ago.

Last edited by SailorDon; 09-30-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 07' seat took a while to break in and I could ride all day on it now and I just switched to the 09' bob seat so I have to start all over, crap. You might give it some time, and where are your shocks set at, you may either be bottoming out or too stiff? You might even think about a good set of shocks.Just a thought.
CB

Quick Reply: '09 Street Bob seat = Butt Bruiser 350