Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint denim?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
prlswabbie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint denim?

Is HD the only ones who can paint denim? If not is it a dificult/expensive process? I'm thinking I want to black out my bob!

thanks in advance

Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Go to a John Deere dealer and buy some Blitz Black paint. It is a similar sheen and easy to apply. We had a guy here that would buy it from us by the cas for his street rod projects.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:03 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

No, HD is not the only company to use denim paint. Flat clearcoat, which can also be mixed with regular clearcoat to create a variety of gloss levels, has been around for a long time.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Cowboy from Hell
Stage II

Here are a few pics of my bike in the John Deere Blitz Black that was mentioned above. i hope this helps a little.
also i read somewhere that the black denim is extreemly difficult to color match. Harley isn't make it easy on us who want that color.

Attached Thumbnails Paint denim?-at-gbm.jpg   Paint denim?-at-gbm2.jpg   Paint denim?-at-gbm3.jpg  

Last edited by Cowboy from Hell; 02-11-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I just had my fender painted denim black and it was matched perfectly. So to answer your question, No it can be done by almost any good painter.

Last edited by imjdoggie; 02-11-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

errrrr - "denim black" is just harley marketing speak for "flat black" - easy match out of a rattle can; anybody can do it......

Old 02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRF
errrrr - "denim black" is just harley marketing speak for "flat black" - easy match out of a rattle can; anybody can do it......
I have tried 8 different brands of flat black spray paint and none of it matches the harley paint.
So I am just going to repaint the whole bike to match my front fender that I painted.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ratt196635
I have tried 8 different brands of flat black spray paint and none of it matches the harley paint.
So I am just going to repaint the whole bike to match my front fender that I painted.
Denim isnt "flat " it is basicaly the sheen that basecoat has before it is cleared. Practly every car that I repair in my shop would be considered " Denim" beford I cleared it,regardless of its color. There are a few ways that a body shop can seal the base and get that effect. They can use Matte clear, or like I use to do when Mercedes bumpers had the same type finish, I would add 30% clear urethane hardener to my basecoat and not clear it . after it was baked the result was basically the same thing as a " Denim " finish

Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

+1 on Blitz Black. I've seen a few cagers use it and clear over it, looks sick...

Old 02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
juspasnthru
Cruiser

John Deere Blitz Black is made by Valspar, and is just an Enamel-it is not resistant to Chemicals, and is sold without a Hardener, so I would be careful if I were using it. Think about Tractors-how long is it before the Paint starts to dull? Not long, which is a characteristic of Enamel Paint.

I would look at Dupont or SEM-they both make a matte finish Paint that is sold as "Hot Rod Black" (Dupont Hot Hues line) and "Hot Rod Flatz" (SEM)-either one is a catalyzed, single stage Paint, and will give you a durable finish-

Quick Reply: Paint denim?