Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 FXDLS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017 | 04:00 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks buddy, so at 6'1 14's would be a minimum you think?

This is my first Dyna, in fact I haven't even picked it up yet, get it on Saturday

Old 02-13-2017 | 04:14 PM
BFMCdyna
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSSPirate

What did you decide, or what are you thinking, to cover the holes left from the gauge relocation? Also, did you track down a harness for the gauges? I've always preferred having the gauges up near the line of sight.

By the way, your bike is starting to make my bike a little envious.

Old 02-13-2017 | 05:40 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 767 Likes on 532 Posts

I would really, really like to have this on my bike, I have to look into this further.

Originally Posted by TheSSPirate

Old 02-14-2017 | 08:13 PM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brasher
Thanks buddy, so at 6'1 14's would be a minimum you think?

This is my first Dyna, in fact I haven't even picked it up yet, get it on Saturday
Nice! its all personal preference honestly, it also technically depends on torso height and all that weird stuff. I have a pal on who is also on here who went with 12" and just got riser extensions so now he's at 15" and I believe he's around 6ft tall and he said its right where he wanted it. My suggestion would be when you pick ip your S, go sit on a street bob with the stock mini ape bars. Those are around 10-12" I believe. Bust out a tape measure, someone at the stealership should have one, and see how tall they are. That will give you a good reference on whats comfy. And don't let anyone else tell you how tall or short your bars need to be, its all personal preference. Id say you'd be comfy at 12-14" or 16" if you want to get crazy!

Old 02-14-2017 | 08:21 PM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BFMCdyna
What did you decide, or what are you thinking, to cover the holes left from the gauge relocation? Also, did you track down a harness for the gauges? I've always preferred having the gauges up near the line of sight.

By the way, your bike is starting to make my bike a little envious.
Our bikes will end up looking pretty much the exact same when its finished haha As for the extensions, Im going with the Big Bear Choppers extensions. I spoke with a company yesterday, who Id rather not name for obvious reasons, that makes the harness for BBC. They are a reputable company who's been doing wire extensions for some time now so I trust the kit from BBC.

The dash is another issue lol I used to make gun holsters out of Kydex and that has a wrinkly finish on one side, and smooth on the other. The black piece I have almost matched the dash perfectly. Im going to cut out a panel to fit underneath the two holes and sticky tape it to the underside for now until I figure out something permanent. That way its covered and will look decent. For the big picture, Id like to have a custom dash made out of aluminum but thats $$$$. I may even make a mold somehow and make a full dash entirely out of kydex. Whatever I do, it will be posted on here soon Just need to do it already. Kydex is super strong and quite pliable when heated up. When it dries, its tough and durable.

The following users liked this post:
BFMCdyna (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017 | 08:24 PM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I would really, really like to have this on my bike, I have to look into this further.
Having the gauge info at eye level is so much nicer than having to dip your head down to see, especially for those of us who wear full face lids. Ill have it done in about a week or so, Im waiting on the wire extensions and the clamp to mount the gauges. You'll have all the info and part numbers on here sir.

Old 02-17-2017 | 02:42 PM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser

So I received my Accutonix gauge mount a few days ago, and got the gauges mounted up in their new home. Wiring harness and dash cover from Big Bear Choppers should be here early next week. Im pretty pumped to get the harness so I can get them plugged in and lit up. From the other thread on "mickey mouse gauges" nobody else has finished the transfer yet. Im not trying to be the first one or beat everyone else to it, I just want people to know it is possible and the parts are out there do it. Seems that the hardest thing to track down is the dash cover. Ill post more on that when I get it. I can't wait to get my arm healed up and get moving on putting this thing back together.

Also, finally got my Purple People Eater back from Imzz Elite and Im in love all over again. Heres a few pics and details on that bike as well, its a 2000 FXDX in OG Concord Purple. Id list all the parts, but theres too many to list. This bike absolutely rips! As I was told from the guy I bought it from, its a stock 88 with SE 295 cams, Mikuni HSR42 carb, and a HD intake. I personally think it has a 95 kit in it because its way more powerful than both my old 88s and it blows the wheels off my buddies 103s. New additions from the shop are a Baker shift drum and forks, Evolution Industries clutch and 30T sprocket to replace the compensator, chain drive kit with matching 13 spoke sprocket with APR bolts, new axle adjuster blocks, and a chrome Thunder Header.

The sprocket came out amazing, it matches the wheels perfectly and they also make them to match the new Low Rider wheels as well. A matching switchblade wheel sprocket is in the making from them too.

Old 02-17-2017 | 03:34 PM
Relbus
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

The people eater looks Rad! This thread is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
TheSSPirate (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017 | 03:36 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm envious as heck of that purple bike. I'm following the same route on my fxdls as yours I hope. Wedding in may has me having to wait but keep up the good work.

Old 02-17-2017 | 07:14 PM
Timhorton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to see how the gauges mounted on the bars look completed. Im doing that to mine but i was going to get the BBC kit. but to save 300$ I'm going to do what you did. I have the Trashin bars and risers so i won't need the accutronix mount.

Also curious about the clutch cable and brake line extensions. Will be waiting to hear what you do there.

Quick Reply: 17 FXDLS Build Thread