Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXRT vs. HD Quarter Fairing for Dyna's

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:06 PM
SprungOne
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXRT vs. HD Quarter Fairing for Dyna's

Hey all getting ready to order up a FXRT fairing and lowers for my FXDB. Question is how are these larger, wider & heavier fairings for Lane/Traffic Splitting? The reason why I ask is because I previously rigged up a '14 Street Glide fairing for wind protection last winter and quickly realized that the thing is way wide and not good at all for splitting standing traffic. Just don't want to go this route and find out the same is true. Attached is my current set up.... Thanks guys, any input is appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails FXRT vs. HD Quarter Fairing for Dyna's-img_4541-copy.jpg   FXRT vs. HD Quarter Fairing for Dyna's-img_4422-copy-2-.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 04:19 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I've been in the process of making over my FXR, and in doing so, making it very narrow just for lane splitting. A friend that I ride with ride even more aggressive thaen me. He has a Big Bear Choppers Titanium with the FXRT upper & lowers and he squeezes thru traffic that has me hesitate. His Leather Pro bags are wider than the fairing. Looks like you have the same bags. I've put a few hundred mile on his bike as well and love that fairing. It offers excellent wind and rain protection as well. Makes riding in the cold much more tolerable too. Might add a set of hand gaurds while you're at it

The only reason I'm not going that direction is $$$. If you ride in adverse weather conditions, it don't get any better. And yet another bonus is that they look awesome IMO!

Old 08-13-2015, 04:24 PM
SprungOne
Novice

Thanks Rich that's exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SprungOne
Hey all getting ready to order up a FXRT fairing and lowers for my FXDB. Question is how are these larger, wider & heavier fairings for Lane/Traffic Splitting? The reason why I ask is because I previously rigged up a '14 Street Glide fairing for wind protection last winter and quickly realized that the thing is way wide and not good at all for splitting standing traffic. Just don't want to go this route and find out the same is true. Attached is my current set up.... Thanks guys, any input is appreciated!
I think that fairing is just mind F'n you. I've split lanes with a bagger without problems but it is super weird when you're getting used to it. Feels like it's going to take your hands off lol. Now that being said my bags on my Dyna are 1.5" wider than the bags on a street glide and I split **** all of the time and pretty damn fast at times and never worry about much being it's not in my face. I squeeze between the curb and big trucks on the right side leaving work a lot by the side walk (standing traffic) or sometimes I split the center lane if not enough room, cruise to the intersection, and then peel off in front of the right lane traffic to hit the freeway (at a red of course). Small cluster ****y street that sucks *** to sit in hot traffic. I don't wait. I don't have any experience with a FXRT fairing, just saying there's no way it could be wider than my bags and I fit through anywhere need be while splitting lanes without a "fitment" issue. Just seems like it would just be a matter of getting used to stuffing yourself in between cars and being okay with it. Visuals can mess with you on a bike for sure.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:53 PM
dudshep31
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a matter of getting used to it. On my t-sport, the fairing moves with my handlebars. My fxrt does not(I'm sure you know this). Point being-it took me a minute to get used to not "moving" the fairing with my handle bars. Took me a minute to trust it before I started splitting on it.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 PM
SprungOne
Novice

Ok sounds like It'll be a great choice for a full fairing setup. They sure look good on the fxr's & dynas that's for sure. Thanks guys for the input I'll be checking around for a good deal on a repop!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dudshep31
It is a matter of getting used to it. On my t-sport, the fairing moves with my handlebars. My fxrt does not(I'm sure you know this). Point being-it took me a minute to get used to not "moving" the fairing with my handle bars. Took me a minute to trust it before I started splitting on it.
Yep. Agree with fixed fairing. It's different at first. I've got a decent amount of miles on some Roadglides and really enjoy the fixed fairing.

Ok sounds like It'll be a great choice for a full fairing setup. They sure look good on the fxr's & dynas that's for sure. Thanks guys for the input I'll be checking around for a good deal on a repop!
I almost went this route as well. They're bad ***. Post it up when you get one!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:53 AM
SprungOne
Novice

Yup will post as soon as I get them and test fit! Ordering up today or tomorrow. So far I know of Deviant Fab, Connely's, BMC and Big Bear Choppers. Any more you guys know of? I'm sure they are all pretty close in quality.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a road glide and an FXR with a T Sport fairing. I chose the T Sport fairing so I can split lanes easier. It really depends on how you split how fast you go etc. But the wider the fairing the more space you need...

FXR is the lane splitter of choice. Road Glide still gets ridden quite a bit but it takes a little longer to get where you are going. I longer split lanes fast regardless. Older and wiser....

Old 08-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Julia's Dad
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your bike looks killer!

Sorry to deviate a little from the subject but I have never seen those kind of forks? Are those gaiters?

Quick Reply: FXRT vs. HD Quarter Fairing for Dyna's