Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Wrap issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Mandalorian
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Exhaust Wrap issues

I am all excited about using DEI Titanium exhaust wrap. When I told my buddy about it, he asked if it does anything to the exhaust. How long does it last? does it void any warranty? I do not want to put it on and in two years my pipes are rusted out or my warranty goes to crap. Any knowledge and experience with these or any wraps is appreciated!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Wraps

I don't know about voiding your warranty as that is up to your dealer...Wraps will cause your pipes to crack and fail and it's just a matter of time after installed. The metal in your pipes is made to heat up and cool down while riding as well as expand and contract with those temp. changes. Wrapping them doesn't allow the heat to dissipate as designed. They get way hotter than they are supposed to and the metal almost turns plastic with the heat. It takes a few years but they do crack.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:47 AM
rydercheers
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I know the warranty on a Thunderheader goes out the window when you wrap it. I'm sure most of the other companies do as well.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:08 PM
johnsonmichael527
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wrap will damage your pipes IF you don't care for them properly. For instance when you wash your bike let it idle until the wrap dries. Same thing for riding in the rain. The reason pipes rupture or get damaged from wrap is when it is not properly cared for. They get wet and hold moisture and eventually rust the pipes. If they held in too much heat then it would not take a couple of years for the damage to occur. As far as the heat goes they do not get any hotter than pipes with no shields. It just seems hotter since so many bikes have heat shields and that is what we are used to. I used an in fared thermometer and tested the Temps with heat shields, without heat shields and when wrapped. There was no significance difference in temp. Some pipes it may void the warranty. However vance and hines sells a wrap for their pipes. So it would hypocritical to sell the wrap and at the same time void the warranty. I have a close friend who is the manager of a harley stealer ship and he said it doesn't void the bikes warranty. I have my pipes wrapped the DEI titanium wrap and did hours of research before doing it. I researched online and spoke with custom bike builders and guys who drag race cars.

If you have any more questions PM me.

Last edited by johnsonmichael527; 06-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsonmichael527
The wrap will damage your pipes IF you don't care for them properly. For instance when you wash your bike let it idle until the wrap dries. Same thing for riding in the rain. The reason pipes rupture or get damaged from wrap is when it is not properly cared for. They get wet and hold moisture and eventually rust the pipes. If they held in too much heat then it would not take a couple of years for the damage to occur. As far as the heat goes they do not get any hotter than pipes with no shields. It just seems hotter since so many bikes have heat shields and that is what we are used to. I used an in fared thermometer and tested the Temps with heat shields, without heat shields and when wrapped. There was no significance difference in temp. Some pipes it may void the warranty. However vance and hines sells a wrap for their pipes. So it would hypocritical to sell the wrap and at the same time void the warranty. I have a close friend who is the manager of a harley stealer ship and he said it doesn't void the bikes warranty. I have my pipes wrapped the DEI titanium wrap and did hours of research before doing it. I researched online and spoke with custom bike builders and guys who drag race cars.

Exactly, I just pulled a set of Bassani Pro Streets off my 08 SB, they have been on and wrapped since 09 with 20K on them. Full disclosure the bike sat for almost two years when I had some back issues. I was looking for another thread where I was going to post pics of the inside of the first bend, but can't find it so I'll go take some and post it here.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:20 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
I don't know about voiding your warranty as that is up to your dealer...Wraps will cause your pipes to crack and fail and it's just a matter of time after installed. The metal in your pipes is made to heat up and cool down while riding as well as expand and contract with those temp. changes. Wrapping them doesn't allow the heat to dissipate as designed. They get way hotter than they are supposed to and the metal almost turns plastic with the heat. It takes a few years but they do crack.

Also,
Heat shields do not cover the entire pipe like wrap does, so they get a lot hotter with wrap than with shields.
Cheaper, thiner walled pipes won't last as log as good quality pipes. (I've had cheap pipes crack apart into pieces after 2000 miles with wrap.)
No pipes last forever, so pick your poison.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 PM
fxdlx
Road Master

Originally Posted by donr101395
Exactly, I just pulled a set of Bassani Pro Streets off my 08 SB, they have been on and wrapped since 09 with 20K on them. Full disclosure the bike sat for almost two years when I had some back issues. I was looking for another thread where I was going to post pics of the inside of the first bend, but can't find it so I'll go take some and post it here.
Wrong quote.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:27 PM
fxdlx
Road Master

Originally Posted by johnsonmichael527

So you're saying the exhaust temp was the same? Or the temp of the pipe under the wrap was the same? Big difference there.
Doesn't VH make money selling new pipes?

Old 06-08-2015, 03:46 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

The light surface rust at the front of the pipe is because these have been sitting on my barn floor for 3 weeks and it's been damp in there because of all the rain we've been getting.

Rear pipe

Front pipe

Old 06-08-2015, 05:23 PM
johnsonmichael527
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdlx
So you're saying the exhaust temp was the same? Or the temp of the pipe under the wrap was the same? Big difference there.
Doesn't VH make money selling new pipes?
I measured thr temp of the pipes themselves. On my bike i left the upper shield on and removed the lower one. I rode around for about an hour and took a temp measurement. I measured the temp of the upper half vs the lower half (after the pipe was wrapped) and there was minimal difference. There was a difference but it was not a huge difference in temperature. By all means I am not an expert and am not trying to contradict anyone. I am just sharing info I researched and collected with my experience.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap issues