Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide fairing install

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:10 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

I have been watching this thread for some time and was eagerly awaiting its conclusion. All I can add to the previous comments is how awesome a job you did. You built a fantastic motorcycle.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:56 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by buellrider76

So here is my solution to wiring up the fairing. I am using the acc port under the seat and running a new loom up the backbone. If you look at the wiring diagram (2008 Dyna model) you can see that the 2 O/R wires on pins 1 and 3 come directly from the CUST ACCY-15A fuse which comes from the ACC on the ignition switch. Pin 4 is the chassis ground. The R/Y wire on pin 3 comes from the rear stop lamp switch. Only connect to pin 3 for brake light applications. (or screw with your buddy and run a wire from pin 3 to his horn!) I ordered 70264-94A, dual acc harness, from Harley for $17! For once a part that's cheaper than I can build it. I also ordered the male connectors from them. Part numbers are on the receipt. It's cheaper if you order from Batts Racing, http://www.deutschconnector.com/, but I was at the dealership already and it was a convenience thing.

So now with the splitter and new connectors I have four power with ignition wires and two grounds. I will run that up into an eight way plug (DT06-08SB Plug Assembly) that I ordered from Batts so that I can unplug the entire fairing with a single plug! Well almost... I also ordered a power plug (DTHD04-1-8P Receptacle Assembly) from them to run the 10 AWG to the amp. So the eight pin, the power plug and the headlight connectors and the fairing comes right off!

One thing to mention about the Batts Racing site is that the connectors come with pins or plugs as applicable. They also sell the crimping tools and insertion/removal tools. If wiring terrifies you, they also sell prebuild harnesses to your specifications. Just expect to pay a bit more for that option.

Just incase you hadn't noticed at the time or came across it later (and I haven't made it that far in to this thread) the headlamp harness (three connectors over to the left of the yellow circle) also has an ACC wire running to it that isn't used on the headlight side. So your head light wire provides your High, Low, Ground and ACC, which doesn't require an alternate switched power source. The only needed requirement at that point is BATT power for the memory on the radio. Just my $.02

Looking forward to the rest of the read and seeing the bike.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:50 AM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,700 Likes on 762 Posts

Great thread! I want to "RG" my FXDC (FXDCRG?). I will not install a stereo system or extra gauges. I imagine my wiring chores will be much fewer(?).

Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without a radio it's a really simple install.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:47 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, as was said before, great job. I was expecting the forks to look puny like some do with the street glide fairing on them, but with those fork gaiters it looks like it was meant to be. It has a little bit of a modern FXRT style to it. Gotta say, when it comes time to "upgrade" to a touring bike, this is very likely the way I might go. Especially since by the time that happens (26 years old) i'm sure i'll have more into my FXD than anyone is willing to pay for it. Again, great job

Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 PM
wreck
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbie
Great thread! I want to "RG" my FXDC (FXDCRG?). I will not install a stereo system or extra gauges. I imagine my wiring chores will be much fewer(?).
I did a conversion last year on a FLHPI. If you don't want gauges you can run the plugs that come on the police EG's. Kinda tough to see in the pic. Tweeters up top, Voltage lower left & plug lower right with a garage door button in the center of it.

Attached Thumbnails Roadglide fairing install-024.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
oldbie (04-11-2017)