Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Advice (2002 FXDX vs. 2009 FXD)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:08 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I normally don't comment on these types of post, but in the end it's your money. Just go with your gut and buy the one you feel most comfortable with. Both have +'s and -'s so it's just what you feel comfortable buying. Now if it were me, I would be looking a few years earlier and finding an Evo FXR, but that's just me.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:39 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I meant no disrespect,
It's all good.

So I guess it really depends on what you plan on doing with the bike.
So true, we can never tell how much $$ and how far a feller wants to go with a build. Lord knows we can throw ton's of $$ at any bike making it our own.
It's always tuff to advise on a forum when we don't know what a guy really wants.
If the OP want's to do a true $$$ custom build, then the FXDX would be the better unique platform.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Vaquero.45
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatmanontwowheels
I normally don't comment on these types of post, but in the end it's your money. Just go with your gut and buy the one you feel most comfortable with. Both have +'s and -'s so it's just what you feel comfortable buying. Now if it were me, I would be looking a few years earlier and finding an Evo FXR, but that's just me.
Yep. If you wanted the ultimate road burner (not what the OP asked for but WTH), a FXR with a big S&S motor and tricked out suspension (which could be far superior to any factory FXDX) would be the ticket. I'd pick a late 90's Dyna with a S&S motor. Not because it's better than the FXR, but because it looks like a Harley.

BUT... the cheapest and simplest way by far to get to a great everyday bike (trimmed however you like) is still a 2007+ FXD(,B,C,L)

Old 11-07-2014, 12:50 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 827 Likes on 374 Posts

Hogpro, trying to convert the FXD crowd is hopeless. Hopefully the guy makes himself happy with whichever one. Just please don't put apes, forwards, a tank lift, 10in shocks, hypercharger, willie g skulls, etc, etc on it that so many dudes love to do lol.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM
jim425
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if you plan to modify much or not, but the FXD is obviously better from a component perspective. With that in mind, it's hard to tell if you redo what's been done to either or not. The pipes for instance might be good if you like the sound of them.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:25 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
Hogpro, trying to convert the FXD crowd is hopeless. Hopefully the guy makes himself happy with whichever one. Just please don't put apes, forwards, a tank lift, 10in shocks, hypercharger, willie g skulls, etc, etc on it that so many dudes love to do lol.
My goodness,
I guess we should all build the way you want us to build. It's just a little presumptuous to ***-u-me that doing things on your list is what all FXD owners do.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that ain't me.
Will you mind terribly if I do the pipes and air then maybe squirt a little more gas in the jugs and call it good? Oh wait, I will do forward controls for comfort and I might paint it at a later date, the 4 I listed will run me $1800 just for starters.

I personally think that anyone going with skulls no matter if their 21 or 80 has finally reach the maturity level of a 16yr old

Old 11-07-2014, 02:52 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 827 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
My goodness,
I guess we should all build the way you want us to build. It's just a little presumptuous to ***-u-me that doing things on your list is what all FXD owners do.

I didn't say all, I said so many. If the shoe fits.....

Old 11-07-2014, 03:05 PM
BrandonP
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated.
What I am leaning towards is the newer FXD or even a newer (2006+) Street bob...for these reasons..
-I hate to admit that I am not exactly mechanically knowledgeable currently, sure I can learn, but as of now I am not knowledgeable enough...So I tend to veer towards the EFI over the carb models. I seem to have always had trouble with carbs in my life.

-Its a newer bike with fewer miles

-The FXDXs seem like incredible handling machines but for my bike riding abilities I am sure a regular dyna will do way more than I am capable of producing. I am not sure I would even know how to set up the suspension at this point in my limited riding experience.

-The FXDX is definitely a great bike and much more rare which interests me for sure. But honestly Id be happy just to have a dyna to build. They are all basically "new" to me so I haven't developed a heart felt need for one very specific dyna. I have however developed a love for the club look...which as some have stated can be produced on any dyna for the most part.

-I love the club look and it seems that I can make a street bob or super glide look the way I want fairly simply although I know the expenses will add up. I basically want a 1/4 ness fairing, T-bars, and black as much as possible. (the grey engine components on the FXD don't bother me too much and I guess I can paint them down the road as long as most of the bike is black).

-The 6 Speed could be something I like end up having...

For the record, I like the typical club bikes with mids etc. No forwards, apes, etc. for me.

I know this bike below by Ric is probably ridiculously expensive but it is inspiring that 2009 FXD could have such a great look.

Thanks for all the info guys!
-Bp

Attached Thumbnails Purchase Advice (2002 FXDX vs. 2009 FXD)-2009-club-fxd-17.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the newer bike would be the way to go for you with it's six speed and FI...just seems like a match for you.

It is a good platform for you to build and I think it looks pretty good as it sits.

Stage one runs nice and the FI will make it simple for you compared to carbs...turn the key, hit the starter , smile as you cruise away!

Have fun!

Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM
BrandonP
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mascman- I agree. For where I am at knowledge wise an EFI just sounds "easier."
-Bp

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice (2002 FXDX vs. 2009 FXD)