General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 550, or 660?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Morphius
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zumo 550, or 660?

I am about to pull the trigger. I am not sure which GPS to buy the ZUMO 550, or the ZUMO 660.
Bluetooth working flawless is a must. Like to add XM down the road maybe.
Turn by turn sound thru bluetooth must be clear.
I saw a new helmet at the dealer with bluetooth speakers and mic built in. Anyone tried it with any of the zumo models?

please advice to make the right decision.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude, just look at the features. Whichever one most fits your needs, get it. Why do you want someone else to tell you what to buy?

Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Morphius
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Dude, just look at the features. Whichever one most fits your needs, get it. Why do you want someone else to tell you what to buy?
Because the features doesn't tell me that Zumo 660 is having issues with Iphone 3g, or Zumo 550 is having bluetooth issues. Real people will tell the truth about their experiences. Features are full of promises until you plug it in.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:54 PM
GaryP
Advanced

the 660 does not support XM radio

Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Morphius,

Based on what I've read in the Zumo Forums (http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum) now would NOT be the time to buy a Zumo 660. The software is still too buggy and there are features that were left out. If I needed to buy one today I'd opt for the 550. If Garmin continues to update their 660 software like they did when the 550 first came out then I would consider it maybe in another few months. Only time will tell what Garmin will and will not fix or update in their software. Also the 660 screen is less bright than the 550 albeit not by too much according to what I've read. I use an old Street Pilot III for work and I'd like to replace it with something new that I can transfer to the bike when on trips. At this point in time my choice would be the Zumo 550.

So, there you go, Morphius. Check the Zumo forums for all the sordid details and let us know which way you decide to go.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Morphius
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jbphoto
Morphius,

Based on what I've read in the Zumo Forums (http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum) now would NOT be the time to buy a Zumo 660. The software is still too buggy and there are features that were left out. If I needed to buy one today I'd opt for the 550. If Garmin continues to update their 660 software like they did when the 550 first came out then I would consider it maybe in another few months. Only time will tell what Garmin will and will not fix or update in their software. Also the 660 screen is less bright than the 550 albeit not by too much according to what I've read. I use an old Street Pilot III for work and I'd like to replace it with something new that I can transfer to the bike when on trips. At this point in time my choice would be the Zumo 550.

So, there you go, Morphius. Check the Zumo forums for all the sordid details and let us know which way you decide to go.
Thank you so much for the info. I am glad I didn't just buy it

Old 05-30-2009, 11:42 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 660 screen is fine. It is less bright when running on battery alone. Connected to power it is bright and clear. I have no software issues whatsoever. Buy a Zumo 550 if you want XM Radio, if not get the 660.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:56 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my 660 is just fine, put all my tunes on it when I put an 8gig micro sd card in it. tho it doesnt have xm radio.. I have no use for someone else's playlist.. and paying for it.

550 is a fine unit as well.. quite a few problems with that when it was first released as well. 660 with the new software update fixed mine up (wouldn't save my custom sets.. it would revert to KM instead of mph every time you turned it off.. but thats fixed now, and it would revert to military time vs am/pm but not now)

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit...

Old 05-31-2009, 08:27 AM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the 660 for a few weeks now and the latest update fixed most of the issues. You still have to do a workaround to get custom routes to work, but supposedly it will be fixed in the next update. If you want XM on the Zumo, you will have to go with the 550.
I'm perfectly happy with the 660 so far and the bluetooth works fine so far.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:38 PM
RG-LEE
Advanced

Does anyone know if the AMA is still offering 20% off on the Zumo 660?

Quick Reply: Zumo 550, or 660?